Students seeking admission into the Early Childhood Development and Education Program must first be admitted to the college through Records and Registration. Before students are eligible to register for any ECDE courses the following must be completed:
1. Apply to Columbus State.
2. Complete appropriate Placement Testing. Placement into ENGL 1100 Composition I or completion of ENG 1099 Composition Workshop is required prior to enrollment in any ECDE course.
3. Students transferring from another college should follow admissions procedures as published in the current College Catalog. Records and Registration will review college transcripts for transfer of General and Basic courses. Courses in which students have earned a "C" or better will be considered for transfer (K) credit. The student's assigned ECDE advisor will review early childhood courses for transfer into ECDE. Students will be asked to supply course descriptions and course syllabi to facilitate the evaluation of transfer credit for ECDE courses. This process should begin as soon as possible to prevent duplication of course work.
Please note: Students who have a conviction of a prohibited offense may not qualify to work with young children. Not all convictions disqualify a student from a position in early childhood, however, so if you have any questions, please see the ECDE Practicum Coordinator.
Prior to starting ECDE practicums, students must have a 2.0 or higher GPA (overall, non-technical, and technical) and must complete the following courses with a grade of 'C' or higher:
- ECDE 1101 (or 1001) Early Childhood Curriculum
- ECDE 1105 (or 1005) Social Emotional Development & Curriculum
- ECDE 1108 (or 1008) Creative Curriculum
- ECDE 1109 (or 1009) Language & Literacy
- ECDE 2010 Infant Toddler Curriculum
- PSY 1100 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 2261 Child Development
Students considering an ECDE major and current ECDE students who have not yet taken Practicum 1 (ECDE 2910), should receive advising through Health and Human Services Advising.
After a student has completed all practicum prerequisites (see list above), an ECDE Faculty Advisor will be assigned by last name.
|A - E||Melanie Adamsemail@example.com||614-287-5411|
|F - J||Christine Creaghfirstname.lastname@example.org||614-287-5805|
|K - O||Li Yangemail@example.com||740-203-8218|
|P - T||Charvella McKayefirstname.lastname@example.org||614-287-2871|
|U - Z||Tricia May-Woodsemail@example.com||614-287-2172|
See your advisor for the following:
- To create or review your overall Plan of Study. This process requires an in-person advising appointment.
- To discuss transfer possibilities to four-year Bachelor's programs.
- To discuss transfer credit from other institutions.
- To make sure you are prepared to graduate. Meeting with your advisor the quarter before you graduate can help assure that you have met all graduation requirements. You will start the actual graduation process by going to Graduation Application in CougarWeb at the start of the quarter you plan to graduate.
Please note: Faculty advising services WILL NOT be available during college breaks. It is the student's responsibility to plan ahead and schedule advising appointments appropriately. The Office of Health and Human Services Advising is open during most breaks. Please see their website for further information.