Financial Aid Steps
Apply for admission to Columbus State Community College.
Note the Important Disbursement Information.
Know criteria for Federal Student Aid (i.e. Federal Pell Grant and Loans).
Know eligibility criteria for Columbus State Scholarships.
Plan your budget for the upcoming academic year. See Tuition & Fees.
Columbus State School Code: 006867
Now that you have completed the FAFSA and have been admitted to Columbus State, the next step is to ensure that your financial aid application is complete.
In some cases you may have to provide additional information on the FAFSA or submit documentation to Columbus State - be sure to check both your student and personal email frequently as additional documentation may be required to complete your financial aid.
Respond to any requests for additional information quickly!
Responding to requests from the FAFSA processor:
The FAFSA is processed by the U.S Department of Education and generates an electronic Student Aid Report (SAR) accessible on the FAFSA site. Make sure to review the results, verify everything is correct, and make any corrections they request.
Responding to Columbus State:
Based on your responses to the questions on the FAFSA, we may need additional information to validate your financial aid application. If requested, we will notify you through your CSCC student email indicating the item(s) required to complete your file.
Some of the more common documentation requests include:
- Verification of income
- Verification of Social Security information
- Verification of Selective Service registration
- Verification of Immigration and Naturalization status
Your financial aid award cannot be determined until all requested information and documentation is submitted and reviewed by Columbus State.
Once your financial aid file is determined to be accurate and complete, you will receive an email notifying you that your Offer Letter is available. Log into your CougarWeb account, click on "Financial Aid Self Service" and then view the "My Awards" link.
- Note the semesters you have been awarded financial aid. If you plan to attend the Summer semester and do not see aid listed for that term, please click on "Summer Financial Aid" link for additional information.
- Review your awards carefully. If awarded loans, you will need to accept or decline them. You can make adjustments to the amounts also.
- If you accept any of your loans but have never had a loan at Columbus State Community College you will need to complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Review your Checklist items in Financial Aid Self-Service to determine if needed.
To view your current semester's bill, log into your CougarWeb account and check the "Manage My Account" link. Financial Aid will be used to pay your fees no sooner than 10 days before the start of the semester. If your semester financial aid exceeds your semester charges (a negative balance), you will receive the excess as a refund approximately the 5th week of the semester. This refund may be released to you by check, which will be mailed to your current address on file with Columbus State, or through Direct Deposit. To sign up for Direct Deposit, log into your CougarWeb account and click on "Bank Information (U.S.)." Some common issues which may prevent your student loans from being disbursed to your student account include:
Once your accept and use Federal student aid funding to pay your tuition and fees, you are required to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of your declared degree or certificate. In the event you do not meet these requirements, you may loss eligibility for future funding. See Satisfactory Academic Progress for full details.