The Upward Bound program at Columbus State Community College has two main components: the academic year and summer.
During the academic year, students are provided with numerous resources to help them thrive academically and personally. Columbus State Community College Upward Bound (CSCC UB) provides:
- Weekly tutoring sessions with professional tutors who are highly-qualified in academic content areas.
- Bi-monthly one-onn-one academic advising with a UB staff member.
- Monthly Saturday enrichment sessions that focus on specific areas necessary for academic and personal growth.
Examples of monthly Saturday Session activities include:
- College tours
- Workshops concerning relevant topics and subject matter
- Social and cultural activities
During the summer, we offer a unique opportunity for students to experience how it would feel to be a college student. Our Summer Enrichment Institute provides the following:
- Instruction in core classes (math, science, foreign language, composition and literature) to help students prepare for the following school year.
- Elective courses to broaden students’ horizons and expose them to new experiences. Examples of courses offered include: Wellness, Social Justice, Business, and Video Game Design.
- Weekly cultural and social activities -- no college experience would be complete without an opportunity for students to socialize with and learn from one another. Examples of cultural and social activities include: visiting a museum, trips to the movie theater, bowling, team building activities, ice skating, canoeing, etc.
- For students who meet eligibility requirements and are identified by staff as capable and ready, Ohio’s dual enrollment program, College Credit Plus (CCP), is offered as an opportunity for students to earn both high school and college credit during the summer term.
- UB students who have graduated high school are eligible to participate in the BRIDGE program. During this program, students are permitted to take a college course at Columbus State Community College. This course is paid for by Upward Bound and will provide college credit and a head start to students’ college experience and success.
All Upward Bound events and activities during the academic year and the summer are free to students and their parents/guardians. Even more exciting, students can earn money if they participate in all components of the program, maintain appropriate attendance, and adhere to the conduct expectations of the program. The amount of money students can earn is directly related to the time and effort they put into the program.