- Academic Departments
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Certificate
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Columbus State currently offers a full-time day and a full-time evening program.
The full-time PN program is four semesters long and takes approximately 16 months to complete.
Courses are offered both during the daytime hours as well as the evening hours in order to accommodate the busy lives of our students.
The Practical Nursing program admits new students for both the spring and autumn program start dates.
Yes, the courses are sequential and should be completed in the order they are prescribed.
The application deadlines for the full-time programs are as follows:
Applications for the summer must be submitted no later than February 28th while applications for the spring start must be submitted no later than September 30th. Applications for the autumn start must be submitted no later than May 31st.
There is no waiting list for the program.
Deadlines are posted at the Health Records office. Please contact the Health Records office at 614-287-2450 for information pertaining to the semester you plan to be admitted to the Practical Nursing program.
- The cost is $152.93 per credit hour.The program is 36 semester credit hours. Therefore, tuition is estimated at $5,505.48 for in-state students.
- Fees, equipment and uniforms are estimated at $1,448.98.
- Students are required to purchase their e-books and curriculum package prior to beginning their first term in the LPN program. The Evolve curriculum package is approximately $1,600.00
Students will spend the following amount of time, approximately, in each course including lecture, lab, or clinical:
- PNUR 1100 Four hours/week in lecture/ lab
- PNUR 1200 Two hours/week in lecture
- PNUR 1300 Four hours/week in lecture/ lab, PNUR 1766 and 1866 must be taken in the same term.
- PNUR 1400 Four hours/week in lecture/lab. This course must be taken with PNUR 1767 & 1867.
- PNUR 1765 Five hours/week in lecture/lab
- PNUR 1865 30 hours per semester in clinical - schedule varies
- PNUR 1766 Four hours in lecture/ lab. This course must be taken with PNUR 1300 and 1866.
- PNUR 1866 45 hrs per semester in clinical, for an average of five hours/week for 9 wks.
- PNUR 1767 hours per semester in lecture/ lab. This course must be taken with PNUR 1400 and 1867.
- PNUR 1867 90 hours per semester in clinical, for an average of six hrs/wk for 15 wks
- PNUR 1900 3 hours in lecture/ lab /seminar
- PNUR 1906 105 hours per semester in practicum (similar to clinical). Weekly hours may vary.
NOTE: This does not include independent study time. The nursing curriculum is very challenging and students are encouraged to plan accordingly.
Students must complete the HESI A2 exam before starting the LPN program.
Applicants into the Practical Nursing program must achieve a minimum average of 75% on the Entrance Exam in order to be considered for the program.
*Students are permitted two attempts to complete the HESI A2 exam and achieve the 75% Students will not be permitted to complete the HESI A2 exam more than two times.
Applicants must complete this assessment through Columbus State, HESI scores from other institutions will not be accepted.
Use the online Practical Nursing Application form.
Yes, there is a mandatory orientation for all new students prior to beginning the program. Students will receive information regarding this orientation with their acceptance packet.