Apply for Financial Aid
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is your key to a variety of student aid programs. When you complete the FAFSA, it helps the college to determine your eligibility for federal and state grants, scholarships, federal work study, and federal student loans.
In a nutshell: You'll log in to FAFSA.gov, create an account, enter all requested information, and be sure to sign and submit your application. If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will need to complete the parent section and sign the application. Once you complete the FAFSA, your information will be sent to CSCC for packaging of aid. You can track your aid status by logging into selfservice.cscc.edu and follow the Financial Aid Checklist.
Before You Start:
- Columbus State's FAFSA School Code is 006867
- Plan to attend summer classes? Make sure you have financial aid for Summer Semester.
If you are attending Autumn 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024
- Complete the 2023-24 FAFSA
- Use 2021 income information
- 23-24 FAFSA Priority Filing Deadline for Autumn 2023 is July 14, 2023.
- 23-24 Documentation Submission Priority Deadline for Autumn 2023 is July 28, 2023.
Federal Deadline for Filing the 2023-24 FAFSA
The 2023-24 FAFSA must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CT on June 30, 2024. Any required corrections or updates to the application must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CT on September 14, 2024 for consideration for the 2023-24 award year.
Specific, step-by-step instructions are available online at FAFSA.gov's Filling Out the FAFSA Form webpage. In general, follow these few steps:
- The FAFSA involves filling in your household income information and then seeing what you qualify for. Make sure you have all documents on hand.
- Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password. Create an FSA ID now
- To ensure Columbus State receives your FAFSA information, include our school code, 006867, in the ‘School Section’ of the FAFSA.
- Make sure you complete the correct academic year and take your time. Mistakes made on the FAFSA can reduce the amount of financial aid you receive and delay the process.
Once you have completed the FAFSA and have been admitted to Columbus State, the next step is to ensure that your financial aid application is complete.
In some cases you may have to provide additional information on the FAFSA or submit documentation to Columbus State - be sure to check both your student and personal email frequently. Respond to any requests for additional information quickly!
- Messages from FAFSA.gov are viewed within FAFSA.gov - be sure to log in often to check for updates.
- Messages from Columbus State will come to your Columbus State email.
Once your financial aid application is complete, you will receive an email that your Offer Letter is available. The Offer Letter details what kind of financial aid you qualify for.
Log in to selfservice.cscc.edu, click on "Financial Aid" and then click on "Review and accept your Financial Aid
Award Package" under your Checklist.
- Summer Financial Aid: If you plan to attend the Summer semester and do not see aid listed for that term, please click on "Summer Financial Aid" link for additional information.
- Review your awards carefully. If you are awarded loans, you will need to accept or decline them. You can make adjustments to the amounts also. More on Loans
- If this is your first time taking out student loans with Columbus State, you will need to complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Complete your Master Promissory Note at https://studentaid.gov/.