Nurse Aide Certificate (STNA)
The Nurse Aide Certificate program trains students to sit for the State Tested Nursing Assistant, or STNA, exam, an in-demand credential that helps you get started in the health care field. The Nurse Aide Certificate is also a gateway course for other Nursing programs at the college.
The Nurse Aide Training Certificate is designed to instruct students in the knowledge and skills needed to provide basic care for clients in long-term care settings. The 76-hour course includes 60 hours of classroom/lab instruction and 16 hours of clinical preparation, which meet the requirements for nurse aide training in Ohio. Students who successfully complete this course are eligible to state test.
Please review Standards Essential for Nursing Students.These are required in order to be considered for admission into a nursing program.
1. You must be an enrolled Columbus State student to take NURC 1001. To enroll at Columbus State follow the Get Started Guide.
2. Placement Requirements
Placement into ENGL 1100 or completion of ENGL 0190 or ESL 0190 with a grade of “C” or better. Students with transfer credit (K) for ENGL 1100 or meet the English prerequisite for NURC 1001 and the writing placement test is not necessary.
Placement into "NO READING REQUIRED"
3. Completion of the NURC 1001 health record
- The Student Health Records Office is located in Union Hall Room 132 (614-287-2450). To register on the first day of registration, the health record must be completed and submitted to the Student Health Records Office by the given deadline. Deadlines and Student Health Records Office hours can be found at the following link: www.cscc.edu/healthrecords.
4. Background and Drug Testing
The results must be received at CSCC before you can register for this course.
Things to know:
- Registration for NURC 1001 is competitive and course sections fill within hours the first day of registration. Prepare in advance to register on-line on CougarWeb at midnight (12:01am) on the first day of registration.
- Remember to research the course offerings in advance in preparation for registration. NURC 1001 will be offered on our Columbus, Dublin, and Reynoldsburg campuses. There are varying course schedules.
- If you are currently a state tested nurse’s aide (STNA) you may request prior learning assessment (PLA or “N”) credit for NURC 1001. Request for Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) form. See additional instructions on the Request for Prior Learning Assessment form including documentation to be submitted and deadline dates.