Nurse Aide Certificate (STNA)
The Nurse Aide Certificate program trains students to sit for the State Tested Nursing Assistant, or STNA, exam, an in-demand credential that helps you get started in the health care field. The Nurse Aide Certificate is also a gateway course for other Nursing programs at the college.
The Nurse Aide Training Certificate is designed to instruct students in the knowledge and skills needed to provide basic care for clients in long-term care settings. The 76-hour course includes 60 hours of classroom/lab instruction and 16 hours of clinical preparation, which meet the requirements for nurse aide training in Ohio. Students who successfully complete this course are eligible to state test.
Please review Standards Essential for Nursing Students.These are required in order to be considered for admission into a nursing program.
1. You must be an enrolled Columbus State student to take NURC 1001. To enroll at Columbus State follow the Get Started Guide.
2. Placement Requirements
Placement into ENGL 1100 or completion of ENGL 0190 or ESL 0190 with a grade of “C” or better. Students with transfer credit (K) for ENGL 1100 or meet the English prerequisite for NURC 1001 and the writing placement test is not necessary.
Placement into "NO READING REQUIRED"
3. Completion of the NURC 1001 health record
Download and print NURC 1001 Health Record or pick one up from the Academic Health Records office.
- The Academic Health Records Office in Union Hall Room 132 (614-287-2450) is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8:30am to 5:30pm; Wednesday 8:30am to 6pm; Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm. To register on the first day of registration, the health record must be completed and submitted to the Academic Health Records Office no later than deadlines listed at www.cscc.edu/healthrecords.
4. Background and Drug Testing
The results must be received at CSCC before you can register for this course.
Things to know:
- Registration for NURC 1001 is competitive and course sections fill within hours the first day of registration. Prepare in advance to register on-line on CougarWeb or by touch-tone (614-287-3900) at midnight (12:01am) on the first day of registration.
- Remember to research the course offerings in advance in preparation for registration. NURC 1001 will be offered on our Columbus, Dublin, and Reynoldsburg campuses. There are varying course schedules.
- If you are currently a state tested nurse’s aide (STNA) you may request prior learning assessment (PLA or “N”) credit for NURC 1001. Request for Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) form. See additional instructions on the Request for Prior Learning Assessment form including documentation to be submitted and deadline dates.
- If you have the equivalent of twelve months or more of full-time employment within the preceding five years as a hospital aide or orderly you are eligible to take the state test for STNA and then use the PLA process to request “N” credit for NURC 1001. Contact D&S Diversified Technologies at www.hdmaster.com or 1-877-851-2355 for the “STNA Candidate Handbook” for instructions.