Mobile App Design and Development
Mobilize your career as an app designer or developer
In the last decade, the percentage of Americans who own a smartphone jumped from 35 to 85 percent. The mobile industry has created a wide range of career opportunities — companies need tech professionals who can build engaging, easy-to-use mobile apps. Columbus State’s two new Mobile App associate degree programs offer the opportunity to launch a career in this growing field.
Technology needs span all sectors and industries, meaning tech-savvy professionals are in increasingly high demand. In fact, Columbus has become a major tech hub, attracting new startups and tech companies every year.
Cutting-Edge Degree Programs
The Mobile App majors prepare students with highly specialized, in-demand skills in the design and development of content and media for iOS and Android mobile devices. Equipped with quality education and experience, our program graduates will be versatile, competitive job candidates.
Mobile App Design AAS
As a design student, you'll focus on the look and feel of mobile apps as you:
- Design user interfaces and user experience (UI/UX)
- Learn about Rapid Prototyping software: Adobe XD (Figma, Sketch, Photoshop)
- Develop project management skills using Agile Methodology in mobile apps
View the Mobile App Design plan of study.
Mobile App Development AAS
As a development student, learn how to get the mobile app designs up and running.
- Investigate Android development using Java and projects directed at Android platform
- Investigate iOS development using Swift and projects directed at iOS platform
- Use Agile Frameworks for software development and project management
View the Mobile App Development plan of study.
Collaborative Experiences for Both Programs
Design and Development students come together for a capstone course in Columbus State’s new Mobile Device Lab. Mimicking industry work environments, students from both programs collaborate to create and launch a mobile app, lending them a jump-start in the job market.
Students from both programs will have the opportunity to:
- Design interfaces using iOS/Android guidelines
- Gain real-world knowledge about React Native and hybrid app development
- Learn using mobile analytics with data-driven and research-focused mentality
- Participate in a collaborative capstone project to create an launch a mobile app
This pair of programs was born from a cross-departmental collaboration. Professor Jon Lundquist (Interactive Media) teamed up with Associate Professor Peter Carswell (Information Systems Technology) to conceptualize and implement degree programs for Mobile App Design and Mobile App Development.
Ready to get started? Incoming and current students can contact Student Central for help declaring or changing a major.
The Columbus State Experience
Columbus State provides an affordable, streamlined path to achieving your career goals. You’ll get a high-quality education without going into great debt — 76% of our students take on zero student loan debt. And we offer the flexibility you need. We built our offerings to be highly customizable and stackable for all ages and stages. Our advisors help tailor your roadmap, whether you plan to continue to another college after ours or start working right away.
Questions? Please contact:
Mobile App Design
Mobile App Development