Sign Language Interpreting
Students requesting interpreters/captionists must be registered with Accessibility Services (AS) to receive these specific approved accommodations. "Live" synchronous sessions must have a service request (interpreting/captioning) received for those services to be scheduled and in place.
To request interpreting for a semester-long class
- Complete the Interpreting/Captioning Request for Academic Courses Form as soon as you register for classes. Once you hit submit, you should be redirected to a response received confirmation page. Our department will also send an email confirming receipt of your request within 2-3 business days. If you do not hear from an AS representative within 2-3 business days, please reach out to Supervisor of Interpreting & Captioning Services, Sheryl Killen (email@example.com), to confirm your interpreting request has been received.
- If you change your schedule, add or drop a class, you MUST submit an updated request via the Interpreting/Captioning Request for Academic Courses Form and/or contact the Supervisor of Interpreting & Captioning Services, Sheryl Killen, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To request interpreting for a one-time event/meeting
- Complete the Campus Event/Meeting Accommodation Request form
- Requests with less than 2 weeks’ notice will be filled based on interpreter availability
- Be on time for your classes. The interpreter will wait 15 minutes for a one hour class or 30 minutes for a class over an hour.
- If you know you will be late or if you will NOT be attending your class/meeting/event, please contact the Supervisor of Interpreting Services at email@example.com.
Note: If a student misses three (3) consecutive classes without informing Accessibility Services, we may suspend services until the student meets with the supervisor of interpreting services.
Please also review the following:
- A Statement of Policy for Students using Sign Language Interpreting Services
- Attendance Policy: Students using Sign Language Interpreting and Captioning Services