Remote Placement Testing
Columbus State Community College has a process in place for allowing students who live outside of the Central Ohio area to complete their placement testing via remote testing.
Remote Placement Testing will be considered for students who live outside of the Central Ohio area; 45 miles from any of the Columbus State Community College Testing Centers (Columbus Campus, Delaware Campus, Dublin Regional Learning Center, Reynoldsburg Regional Learning Center, Westerville Regional Learning Center).
The following tests may be taken at another institution:
- Writing Placement Test
- Reading Placement Test
- Science Placement Test
- Math Placement Test
Remote Placement Testing Policies:
- Students must have applied to the college, been accepted, and received a Cougar Identification number.
- All requests must be approved by the Columbus State Community College Supervisor of Placement Testing or designee prior to taking the test.
- Requests must be received at least five (5) business days prior to the preferred testing date.
- Testing must occur at a secure test center or via the approved virtual proctor services.
- Students are responsible for all remote related proctoring fees as well as any Columbus State Community College testing fees.
Remote Placement Testing Steps:
Step 1: Select Your Test Site and Proctor Option
1. Locate a testing site near you. Testing sites can include:
- Any accredited College/University
- Company or organization that has a testing operation
- Public libraries with testing operations
You may use this website www.ncta-testing.org/cctc/find.php to assist with your search.
You may use this list of pre-approved Accuplacer Test Sites to assist with your search and registration. Accuplacer Test Sites
You are responsible for contacting the testing facility and making sure they are willing to proctor a placement test for you prior to registering for your Remote Placement Test session. Columbus State will provide your designated proctor with a Proctor Security Agreement form to be completed and returned to our office prior to confirming your remote placement test session.
Call to check on availability, hours of operation, and COST per test. (Prices vary greatly and the student is responsible for all fees.)
* Acceptable sites must be staffed by an employee where proctoring is part of their daily duties and/or responsibilities for their position.
2. Register for a virtual proctor test session via B Virtual (writing, reading, and science only) or Proctor U (math only). These are virtual proctoring services available for placement testing for students who do not have testing facility available within a 45-mile radius of their location. The placement tests are taken on the student’s personal computer with a proctor monitoring him/her via the respective website.
* All testing fees and payments required by B Virtual and ProctorU are the responsibility of the student.
Step 2: Complete the Columbus State Remote Placement Test Registration Form
Make sure you have the following information before completing the Remote Placement Test Request Form.
- Full Name
- Columbus State Cougar ID
- Your Date of Birth
- Your personal contact information (phone, e-mail, mailing address)
- Preferred test date and time
- Institution Name
- Institution Address (street, city, state, and zip)
- Institution E-Mail Address
- Institution Phone Number
- Proctor Name and Contact Information (e-mail and phone)
Step 3: Schedule Your Placement Test Date and Time
Once your request has been received, you will be set up for your Remote Placement Test session within three (3) to five (5) business days, possibly more for locations outside of the United States. You will receive a confirmation and further instructions of your test via e-mail at the address you provided on your registration form. Please follow the instructions for scheduling your placement test.
Step 4: Take Your Test!
Follow the instructions provided in your confirmation e-mail and bring all required documents with you to your test session.
Once you have completed your Placement Test, your scores will be accessed and posted to your Columbus State student record. You next steps will be provided on your placement score report.