Mathematics Placement Test
Due to coronavirus concerns, we are moving placement testing online.
- Math placement testing (ALEKS) will be administered online through CougarWeb. Take the math placement test online by accessing CougarWeb with your Columbus State username and password. Select “ALEKS” under the “Placement Testing” link, and complete the math placement test. Math Placement Info
- Reading and writing placement will be determined in other ways temporarily since these tests can’t be taken online. To find the right course for you, we’ll use your ACT/SAT/GED scores, Advance Placement English, COMPASS test scores, Accuplacer scores, or your performance in college courses you’ve already taken. These test scores give you more course options. If you don’t have these test scores, don’t worry. Our first term advisors will show you how to register for our Fundamentals of College Writing (ENGL 0199) / College Composition Workshop (ENGL1101), where you’ll learn in a small-group, teacher-directed environment that will set you up for success through the rest of your college journey. An advisor will contact you after you complete our online New Student Workshop. Sign up today with your Columbus State username and password.
For general coronavirus updates, see Coronavirus Updates & FAQs
Depending on your major, you may need to take a few college math classes – or quite a few! The Mathematics Placement Test will assess your math abilities to ensure that you receive any remedial assistance you may need, and place you in the right course your first semester at Columbus State.
IMPORTANT: ACT or SAT must have been taken in the past two years.
Who Needs to Test?
- If you have an ACT Math score of 20 or higher, a SAT Math score of 480 or higher (old format) or 510 or higher (new format), or official transcripts with qualifying math college credits, you do not need to take the Mathematics Placement Test.
- All others need to complete the Math Placement Test before you can register for your first semester of classes at Columbus State.
Timing, Cost & Testing Rules:
- You may take the Mathematics Placement test up to five times at no cost.
- The test is not timed and usually takes students about 2 hours to complete.
How to Take Your Test
- Access the ALEKS Math Placement Test by logging into CougarWeb anywhere that is quiet and free of distractions from any device with an internet access. Cell phones are not recommended, but may be used.
- If you have not established your Cougar Web Account, click on “What’s My Username” link and follow the prompts. You will need your Cougar ID number or Social Security Code to establish this account.
- Once logged in, go to CougarWeb for Students and click the link for ALEKS under Placement Testing.
- You will follow several prompts when logging into ALEKS for the first time, including the completion of a short survey and a tutorial.
- The short survey will ask you a few questions about your most recent math class experience. Use your best memory and judgment if you are uncertain of an answer.
- The tutorial will walk you through how to navigate through the test, use of tools presented to you, and how to answer questions.
- The assessment is untimed and presents up to 30 questions.
- ALEKS PPL provides an embedded calculator that is available when it is allowed for use. Do not use any other calculator.
- Do Not Use the “I DON’T KNOW” button. It is better to attempt to answer a question than to use this feature.
- IMPORTANT: Do not use notes, visit other websites, or receive help from other people when taking the unproctored assessment. If you do, ALEKS PPL will not create a Prep & Learning Module that is appropriate for your needs and instead will create one that is too difficult for you.
- You have the option to remediate and retake the math placement test up to 4 more times at no cost to you. Many students benefit from taking advantage of this reassessment process!
- You must spend at least 5 hours improving your math skills by working in your individualized ALEKS Prep & Learning Module. Follow the Continue My Path button in the upper left of your ALEKS dashboard to access the lessons and knowledge checks.
- After you spend 5 hours working in your Prep & Learning Module, your second ALEKS PPL placement test will be unlocked.
- Repeat step 3 to complete your retest.