Mathematics Placement Test
For Autumn 2021, Placement and Assessment will be available at the Columbus Campus (Center for Workforce Development, Room 223), Delaware Campus (Moeller Hall, Room 157), and Dublin Regional Learning Center (DB, Room 311).
Students who are located outside of the Central Ohio region or have an extenuating
circumstance that requires them to complete their placement tests virtually, may contact
the Placement and Assessment team at
(614) 287-2478 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Depending on your major, you may need to take a few college math classes – or quite a few! The Mathematics Placement Test will assess your math abilities to ensure that you receive any remedial assistance you may need, and place you in the right course your first semester at Columbus State.
Timing, Cost & Testing Rules:
- You may take the Mathematics Placement test up to five times at no cost.
- The test is not timed and usually takes students about 2 hours to complete.
- You are required to complete this test on a computer with a functioning webcam and microphone.
How to Take Your Test
- Access the ALEKS Math Placement Test by logging into CougarWeb anywhere that is quiet and free of distractions from any device with an internet access. Cell phones are not recommended, but may be used.
- If you have not established your Cougar Web Account, click on “What’s My Username” link and follow the prompts. You will need your Cougar ID number or Social Security Code to establish this account.
- Once logged in, go to CougarWeb for Students and click the link for ALEKS under Placement Testing.
- You will follow several prompts when logging into ALEKS for the first time, including the download of the required LockDown Browser and the completion of a short survey and a tutorial.
- The short survey will ask you a few questions about your most recent math class experience. Use your best memory and judgment if you are uncertain of an answer.
- The tutorial will walk you through how to navigate through the test, use of tools presented to you, and how to answer questions.
- The assessment is untimed and presents up to 30 questions.
- ALEKS PPL provides an embedded calculator that is available when it is allowed for use. Do not use any other calculator.
- Do Not Use the “I DON’T KNOW” button. It is better to attempt to answer a question than to use this feature.
- IMPORTANT: Do not use notes, visit other websites, or receive help from other people when taking the unproctored assessment. If you do, ALEKS PPL will not create a Prep & Learning Module that is appropriate for your needs and instead will create one that is too difficult for you.
- You have the option to remediate and retake the math placement test up to 4 more times at no cost to you. Many students benefit from taking advantage of this reassessment process!
- You must spend at least 5 hours improving your math skills by working in your individualized ALEKS Prep & Learning Module. Follow the Continue My Path button in the upper left of your ALEKS dashboard to access the lessons and knowledge checks.
- After you spend 5 hours working in your Prep & Learning Module, your second ALEKS PPL placement test will be unlocked.
- Repeat step 3 to complete your retest.