Mathematics Placement Test
Depending on your major, you may need to take a few college math classes – or quite a few! The Mathematics Placement Test will assess your math abilities to ensure that you receive any remedial assistance you may need, and place you in the right course your first semester at Columbus State.
IMPORTANT: ACT or SAT must have been taken in the past two years.
Who Needs to Test?
- If you have an ACT Math score of 20 or higher, a SAT Math score of 480 or higher (old format) or 510 or higher (new format), or official transcripts with qualifying math college credits, you do not need to take the Mathematics Placement Test.
- All others need to complete the Math Placement Test before you can register for your first semester of classes at Columbus State.
Timing, Cost & Testing Rules:
- You may take the Mathematics Placement test up to five times at no cost.
- The test is not timed and usually takes students about 2 hours to complete.
- Once you start the test you will be permitted to work on the test until the Testing Center closes. If you do not complete the Math Placement Test before the Testing Center closes, your test will be suspended and you may return at another time to complete it.
Take your Placement Tests at a Columbus State Testing Center location convenient to you. No appointment is necessary, just walk-in during their scheduled hours. Be sure to arrive at least two hours prior to closing to take your tests. Remember that you are not able to register for classes until you have completed your placement tests.
Visit www.cscc.edu/testingcenter for Testing Center hours and directions.
Important: Be sure to arrive 2 hours or more prior to closing. Tests will not be administered within 2 hours of closing.
The score from your proctored Mathematics Placement Test will be entered into your college record and used for placement into your first math course at Columbus State.
You will receive your scores immediately when you submit your test, along with an explanation of what courses you have placed into or tested out of.
|Score 0-13||DEV 0114 Basic Math and Pre-Algebra required|
|Score 14-29||Placement out of DEV 0114 Basic Math and Pre-Algebra|
|Score 30-45||Placement out of Math 1025/1050|
|Score 46-60||Placement out of Math 1075|
|Score 61-75||Placement out of Math 1148|
|Score 76-100||Placement out of Math 1149|
If you aren't satisfied with your Mathematics Placement Test score, you may retake the Math Placement Test. There is no cost to retake the Mathematics Placement Test, and you do not need a referral form from an advisor.
Upon completion of your first Math Placement Testing, ALEKS module is created. You will return to CougarWeb and click on "Mathematics Placement Testing and Preparation" to access your module and complete your 5 hours of preparation before you may retest. Your Module will remain active for 6 months.
To access your Prep and Learning plan, please follow these instructions:
- Log onto CougarWeb
- Click on "Student Tab"
- Click on "Access ALEKS PPL"
- You will be redirected to the ALEKS PPL Page
- Click on the course link. If you began working in PPL prior to September 15, click "SHOW MY OTHER ALEKS COURSES" button and select the Fall 2016 course.*
- Follow the button and prompts from the top left to begin or continue your Prep and Learning Work.
Important: A new cohort/class is created at the beginning of each academic year. If you took your first placement test prior to September 15, you will need to click on the SHOW MY OTHER ALEKS COURSES button and then select your original cohort. Your placement work is not available in the new cohort.