Mathematics Placement Assessment
PLACEMENT TESTING IS LOCATED IN THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS:
COLUMBUS CAMPUS: Madison Hall, Room 202
DELAWARE CAMPUS: Moeller Hall, Room 157
DUBLIN REGIONAL LEARNING CENTER: Room 311
Appointments are required. Click here to schedule your placement testing appointment.
Virtual Placement Testing appointments are available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays for students who live outside of central Ohio (45 minutes from the Columbus or Delaware campuses). Students with extenuating circumstances may also be given consideration.
Approval is required. Click here to submit your request.
Depending on your major, you may need to take a few college math classes – or quite a few! The Mathematics Placement Test will assess your math abilities to ensure that you receive any remedial assistance you may need, and place you in the right course your first semester at Columbus State.
Timing, Cost & Testing Rules:
- You may take the Mathematics Placement test up to five times at no cost.
- The test is not timed and usually takes students about 2 hours to complete.
- You are required to complete this test on a computer in a proctored environment.
How to Take Your Test
- At your appointment, you will be directed to access the ALEKS Math Placement Assessment by logging into CougarWeb Self-Service
- You will need to know your Columbus State Username and Password to access your assessment. Make sure you have established this before arriving at your appointment. Username and password information can be found here.
- The assessment is untimed and presents up to 30 questions.
- ALEKS PPL provides an embedded calculator that is available when it is allowed for use. Do not use any other calculator.
- Do Not Use the “I DON’T KNOW” button. It is better to attempt to answer a question than to use this feature.
- You have the option to remediate and retake the math placement test up to 4 more times at no cost to you. Many students benefit from taking advantage of this reassessment process!
- The Prep & Learning Module is located in CougarWeb Self-Service under the Academics tab (Graduation Cap icon)
- Spend at least 5 hours improving your math skills by working in your individualized ALEKS Prep & Learning Module. Follow the Continue My Path button in the upper left of your ALEKS dashboard to access the lessons and knowledge checks.
- After you spend 5 hours working in your Prep & Learning Module, your second ALEKS PPL placement test will be unlocked.
- Repeat Step 1 to complete your retest.