- Academic Departments
- Information Systems Technology
- National Science Foundation Scholarships in STEM
Scholarships in STEM: Information Systems Technology
A National Science Foundation Scholarship Program
The 2023 application is OPEN. The deadline to submit applications is July 14 - check the application info below for more details. If selected, candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Launch your career without going into debt. This new annual scholarship opportunity is for students entering one of six in-demand information technology fields. The National Science Foundation (NSF) Scholarships in STEM (S-STEM) Information Systems Technology (IST) Scholars program aims to diversify the industry by supporting student demographic groups underrepresented in the information technology sector. You may be eligible to apply if you are an academically talented* student with demonstrated financial need* pursuing an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in at least one of the following IST majors:
- Software Developer
- Network Administrator
- Web Developer
- Information Technology Support Technician (ITST)
- Management Information Systems
- Game Developer
- Mobile App Development
In addition to funding, NSF S-STEM IST Scholars will learn and grow together as a cohort. Students will have access to a specialized summer bridge program, faculty mentorship, specific program advising, and IST special events.
We’ll support career and bachelor's program placement through one-on-one student support – including help with the application and interview process – as well as connecting participating students with resources such as Career Services, Academic Advising, and faculty mentors.
Eligibility and Application Steps
To be eligible for this scholarship, a student must:
a. Be an Ohio resident
b. Be accepted and enrolled at Columbus State in the IST department
c. Complete the FAFSA and show unmet financial need, as determined by Columbus State’s Financial Aid Office
d. Demonstrate academic potential in at least one of two ways:
- A 2.6+ high school GPA or alternative criteria
- College readiness through placement testing according to Columbus State’s Admissions Office and the student’s Columbus State Academic Advisor.
e. Complete the application process (See "How to Apply")
- Complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA, listing Columbus State as a receiver (federal code: 006867)
- Visit Columbus State’s scholarship application portal to complete the general application.
- Select NSF S-STEM IST Scholars within the general application to apply for this scholarship.
- Email Patricia Opong to confirm your application was received
- Interview with faculty (upon invitation)
- Active participation in mandatory cohort activities:
- STEM Summer Bridge Program
- Faculty Mentorship
- Program Advisor Meetings
- Technology Speaker Series
- Career READY Workshops
- Utilize additional resources and activities:
- STEM Resource Room
- Online Learning Communities
- Social Activities
- Learning Support Specialists
- Peer Mentorship
- Maintain a 2.5 GPA at Columbus State and receive a C or better in technical courses
- Participation in program evaluation surveys