New Student Workshops
The New Student Workshop is a two-part program to prepare students to be successful at Columbus State, including registering for first semester classes. Students who complete the two-part New Student Workshop will have the knowledge and tools necessary to achieve their academic goals.
- Part One, the Online Workshop, introduces students to Columbus State's academics, support resources, and student life. Students complete the Online Workshop independently and at their own pace. Within the Online Workshop, students will register for part two, a Course Scheduling workshop. Complete part one - The Online Workshop below.
- Part Two, the Course Scheduling Workshop, is a live advising session where students will receive their first semester course recommendations and build their class schedule with the help of our advising team. Students will register for a future Course Scheduling Workshop at the end of the Online Workshop, and both in-person and live online options will be available.
- Do not complete this workshop if you graduated high school in 2021 or 2022 and want to register for Autumn semester. You should attend New Student Orientation.
- In order to receive course recommendations and register for classes, students must
have placement information for reading, writing, and math on file with the college.
Click here to learn more about the information you should submit for placement.
- Note: Students who do not have placement information on file will not receive course recommendations and will not be able to register for classes.
- Students who are transferring and have completed more than 15 college level credit hours (with the exception of former College Credit Plus students) should not complete this workshop. Instead, please visit New Student Program's Virtual Drop Ins with a copy of your unofficial transcripts for verification of placement (English, Reading, and Math) and program pre-requisites. This may result in referral to other advising offices for course recommendations or follow up based on completed credits.
- Students taking transient or guest courses at Columbus State or who do not plan to complete a certificate or degree from the college should not complete the two-step New Student Workshop, but should instead work with the Transient Advising Team to prepare for the semester.
- The Online Workshop will take about 1 hour to complete and can be completed at any time.
- Sign in with your Columbus State username and password.
- Register for part two, a Course Scheduling Workshop on the final slide of the Online Workshop.
If you have questions or experience technical difficulty accessing the workshop, please email email@example.com from your Columbus State student email and include your Cougar ID number in addition to your question. Please allow 2-4 business days for a response. If you require an immediate response, please use our web chat feature.