New Student Workshops
The New Student Workshop is a two-part program to prepare students to be successful at Columbus State. Students who complete the two-part New Student Workshop will have the knowledge and tools necessary to achieve their academic goals.
Part One, the Online Workshop introduces students to Columbus State's:
- Who is Columbus State?
- General College Knowledge
- Student Life and Resources
- Academic Support Services
- Money Matters
- Next Steps pre-registration
Students complete the Online Workshop independently and at their own pace. Within the Online Workshop, students will register for part two, a Course Scheduling workshop. Complete part-one, the Online Workshop below.
Part Two, the Course Scheduling Workshop is a live registration session where:
- Meet your New Student Programs Team
- Align your major with your career and academic goals
- Receive your First Semester Course Recommendations
- Register for your first semester classes
Students will register for a future Course Scheduling Workshop at the end of the Online Workshop, and both in-person and live online options will be available.
Please Note: Students who do NOT have placement information on file will not receive course recommendations and will not be able to register for classes.
- The Online Workshop will take about 1 hour to complete and can be completed at any time.
- Sign in with your Columbus State username and password.
- Register for part two, a Course Scheduling Workshop on the final slide of the Online Workshop.
Students who are transferring and have completed more than 15 college level credit hours (with the exception of former College Credit Plus students) should not complete this workshop. Instead, please visit New Student Program's Drop Ins with a copy of your unofficial transcripts for verification of placement (English, Reading, and Math) and program pre-requisites. This may result in referral to other advising offices for course recommendations or follow up based on completed credits.
Students taking transient or guest courses at Columbus State or who do not plan to complete a certificate or degree from the college should not complete the two-step New Student Workshop, but should instead work with the Transient Advising Team to prepare for the semester.
If you have questions or experience technical difficulty accessing the workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org from your Columbus State student email and include your Cougar ID number in addition to your question. Please allow 7-10 business days for a response. If you require an immediate response, please use our web chat feature.