Certificate Pathways Scholarship
Get your foot in the door, then get to the next level
Even if you're looking for the first step in your career, we know you're still aiming high. With a career pathway scholarship, you can get an entry level certificate, then keep adding to your credentials to get to the next phase of your career.
Thanks to a grant from the Ohio Department of Higher Education, we can offer a $2,000 scholarship for each of the short-term certificates listed below. And you may be able to use the scholarship to get multiple certificates!* We've laid out sample career pathways below showing how certificates "stack" up to higher positions - and higher earning potential.
View more information on noncredit short-term certificates and scholarship opportunities:
- Applicants must be a resident of Ohio.
- Applicants must sign up for a certificate program listed on this page. Note: the scholarship does not apply to associate degrees. According to state rules, the scholarship can only pay for classes and fees that apply to your certificate.
- The certificate must be listed on your official record as your declared course of study, and must match the certificate selected on the application. Students can update or confirm their official record by calling Columbus State Community College’s Telephone Information Center at 614-287-5353.
- Scholarships will be awarded to applicants with financial need
How to Apply
Eligible students may be awarded up to $2,000 in scholarship money toward the cost of attendance. To apply, fill out a Scholarship Application Form. We'll contact you if you qualify and help you through the next steps.
- The lifetime maximum award is $2,000 or three semesters, whichever comes first. Students must apply for the scholarship each semester to get the maximum benefit. Students may be eligible to use this scholarship for multiple certificates.
- Scholarships can be used not only for tuition, but also expenses such as required books and supplies, and lab fees.
- Once you complete your certificate, you may apply for another certificate scholarship.
- If you haven't already done so, you will need to apply for admission to Columbus State and register for classes. See the Get Started Guide or Returning Students.
- Don't pay your tuition yet! We can only apply the scholarship if you have an unpaid balance on your account.
Need more information? Email Erin McDonough at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health Care Certificates
Build your potential: Earn a short-term certificate to qualify for a job quickly. Then, come back for additional certificates or degrees. View eligible certificates below.
Phlebotomy / EKG Certificate
Two Semesters: The Phlebotomy Certificate Program prepares students with entry-level skills to perform blood collections within a healthcare setting. Students complete a minimum of 100 clinical hours and 100 venipunctures. Students who complete this program will receive a certificate of completion and be eligible to take a certification exam.
Job Titles: Laboratory Technicians, Phlebotomists, Laboratory Assistants
Top Companies: Aerotek, Nationwide Children's Hospital, LabCorp, Quest Diagnostics, American Red Cross, ProMedica
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $17/hr
Clinical Lab Assisting Certificate
One Semester: The Clinical Laboratory Assisting Certificate is designed to provide exposure to the clinical laboratory techniques and procedures needed in entry-level laboratory jobs.
Job Titles: Laboratory Assistants, Specimen Accessioners
Top Companies: Nationwide Children's Hospital, LabCorp, OhioHealth, Ohio State Wexner Medical Center
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $16/hour or $33.2K/yr
Pharmacy Technician Certificate
Two Semesters: The Pharmacy Technician Program is an entry-level certificate program that prepares students for a career as a pharmacy technician. Students learn to prepare medications, perform dosage calculations, and other real-world tasks.
Job Titles: Pharmacy Technician, Certified Pharmacy Technician, Pharmacy Technicians-in-Training, Compounding Pharmacy Technicians, Sterile Compounding Pharmacy Technicians, Inpatient Pharmacy Technicians
Top Companies: CVS Health, Kroger Pharmacy, Nationwide Children's Hospital, Walgreens, OhioHealth, Mount Carmel Health Systems, Meijer Pharmacy, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $41,600/yr
Addiction Studies Certificate
Two Semesters: The Addiction Studies Certificate prepares students for an entry-level credential in the addictions field. Students learn theories of addiction, assessment of substance use disorders, and treatment planning.
Job Titles: Counselors, Case Managers, Counselor Assistants, Patient Care Assistants, Substance Abuse Counselors
Top Companies: Maryhaven Inc., Alvis Inc., Southeast Integrated Healthcare Inc., Concord Counseling, Goodwill Columbus
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $20.65/hr or $42.9K/yr
Healthcare Manager Certificate
Two Semesters: Students gain vital knowledge and experience toward becoming a manager in healthcare.
Job Titles: Healthcare Office Lead, Healthcare Frontline Support Lead, Lead Technician, Healthcare Office Coordinator
Top Companies: Ohio State University, Nationwide Children's Hospital, OhioHealth, Anthem Blue Cross, Mount Carmel Health System
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $16/hr or $34K/yr
Health Information Management Certificate
Two Semesters: The HIM Technician Certificate prepares students to assist in compiling orderly patient charts (paper, hybrid, or electronic) to meet the requirements for licensure and certification. Students also learn how to perform duties such as release of information to help assist in continuity of patient care.
Job Titles: Health Information Technician, Medical Records Clerk, Health Information Management (HIM) Specialist
Top Companies: Nationwide Children's Hospital, OhioHealth, Mount Carmel Health System, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $17.00-22.00/hr or $36-46K/yr
Medical Coding Certificate
Three Semesters: The Medical Coding Certificate program provides students with the entry-level skills needed to code, classify, and index diagnoses and procedures for the purpose of reimbursement, standardization, retrieval, and statistical analysis. Students learn fundamental concepts of medical coding and medical reimbursement.
Job Titles: Medical Coder, Coding Specialist, Inpatient Coder, Outpatient Coder, Facility Coder, Professional Coder
Top Companies: Central Ohio Primary Care, Nationwide Children's Hospital, OhioHealth, Mount Carmel Health System, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Average Salary in Central Ohio: $22.00/hr or $45K/yr