Weeks of Welcome
We’re so glad you’ve chosen Columbus State for the 2023-2024 school year! The first few weeks of class are an exciting time on campus, filled with opportunities to make long lasting memories.
The Columbus State Welcome Team, consisting of volunteer faculty and staff, is here to help you navigate the campus and get connected to helpful resources. We also offer a wide range of fun activities across the college so you can enjoy the spirit of Columbus State alongside your friends and peers. During the third week of classes, Student Success Week will kick off, featuring events to introduce you to resources on campus and give you helpful tips to succeeding in college. Let’s make some memories!
Week 1 - Aug. 28 - Sept. 1
Sneak PeEk Saturday
Saturday, Aug. 26
9 a.m. - noon
Walk the campus before classes start and get help from volunteers out in the Courtyard.
7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Columbus Campus and Delaware Campus
Look for faculty & staff members in green shirts to help answer your questions and navigate campus!
Dublin Resource Fair
11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Meet staff from the Dublin campus and learn about available resources.
Student Employment Job Fair
11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Courtyard and Nestor Hall Breezeway
Learn about different student employment opportunities on campus and in the community.
Week 2 - Sept. 4 - 8
Delaware Resource Fair
11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Meet staff at the Delaware campus and learn about available resources.
Student Leadership Workshop: Goal Setting and Growth Mindset
2:30 - 4 p.m.
Franklin Hall 110
Join us for the the kickoff to the Leadership Engagement Series, a new program that includes monthly leadership workshops for all interested students. Register here.
VIRTUAL Game Night
6 - 8 p.m.
Online. RSVP here and you will receive a Zoom link to join!
This is a great chance to meet other students virtually and have some fun with Jackbox games.
Week 3 - Sept. 11 - 15
Resource Fair & Volunteer Village
Due to the threat of rain on Sept. 12, this event has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 19.
11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Join us for this large outdoor party in the courtyard to make connections with college resources, student clubs, and community partners. There will also be games, music, food, and more!
Student Success Week
Pop-Up Info Tables
10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Success Workshops, Department Open Houses, & More!
Sept. 13 - 14
Week 4 - Sept. 18 - 22
National Voter Registration Day
11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
National Voter Registration Day Table in Courtyard
Stop by to learn more about the voting process and receive help getting registered.
Resource Fair & Volunteer Village Rain Plan
11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Columbus Campus Courtyard
In case of bad weather on 9/12, the Columbus campus Resource Fair & Volunteer Village will happen on 9/19.
Mitchell Hall Lawn
6 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Join the Student Engagement & Inclusion team for a fun, family friendly, WoW finale that includes activities, music, snacks, and an outdoor movie experience.
The first few weeks of classes are critical for students to build a foundation for success for the semester and beyond. There are specific steps you can take right now:
Build Relationships and Connect
- Learn the names of your instructors and professors.
- Read the syllabus for each class.
- Sign up for Cougar Connect for events and to connect with other students.
Engage and Stay Encouraged
- Show up to class, whether it is online or on campus.
- Before class, write down questions from the materials so you are ready to participate.
- Ask for clarification when you don’t understand a topic.
- Visit faculty members during office hours if you need additional assistance.
Communicate, Celebrate, and Aspire
- Stay motivated to accomplish things.
- Remind yourself why you are in college and why it’s important to you and your family.
- Do a countdown to graduation by marking down the days each semester.
Support and Collaborate
- Everyone can use a hand sometimes; Asking for help is healthy.
- Use free resources: Career Services, Counseling Services, and Accessibility & Testing.
- Don’t wait until there is a problem. Seek out Tutoring Services which are free of charge.
- Library services are available remotely, and there is a live chat option.
- IT Support services are free at www.cscc.edu/helpdesk and 614-287-5050.