Request an Accommodation
Students: This page is for employee requests. For student and classroom accommodations, visit Disability Services.
1. An employee may make an oral or written request directly to their immediate supervisor or by contacting the ADA Program Coordinator. Although there are no "magic words" to request an accommodation, an employee should be as clear as possible when indicating that they are seeking an accommodation for a disability to enable them to fulfill essential job functions.
2. Accommodation requests shall be directed to the ADA Program Coordinator, Michael Hicks in the Office of Equity and Compliance, SX 144, via telephone at (614) 287 – 2883 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Accommodation requests may be made orally or in writing. The employee may choose to complete the ADA Accommodation Request form: Accommodation Request Packet Forms\ADA Accommodation Request Form and submit it to the ADA Coordinator to begin the interactive process. If the form has not been completed at the time the employee has made a request, the ADA Coordinator/designee may ask the employee to fill out the Request for Accommodation form. Decisions regarding accommodation will not be delayed pending receipt of a completed "Request for Accommodation" form unless there is insufficient information provided to the ADA Coordinator without completion of the form.
4. When the need for accommodation is not obvious/visible, the employee may be required to submit supporting documentation regarding the impairment, the limitations resulting from the impairment and the requested accommodation. To expedite the request, the employee should have their healthcare provider complete the Healthcare Provider Request for Medical Info form: Accommodation Request Packet Forms\Health Care Provider Request for Medical Info. The employee should provide a copy of their job class description (available from the employee's Human Resources Business Partner) to the healthcare provider along with the Medical Information form. If the ADA Coordinator is requesting the medical information on behalf of the employee, the employee must sign an Authorization for Medical PHI Form: Accommodation Request Packet Forms\Authorization for Medical PHI Form consenting to the disclosure of the employee's protected health information to the Office of Equity and Compliance.
5. Both completed forms (the Request for Accommodation and Medical Information) and other supporting documentation should be sent to the ADA Coordinator.
6. The ADA Coordinator/designee will review any supporting documentation to evaluate the request and determine eligibility. In doing so, the ADA Coordinator/designee may meet with the employee and supervisor as necessary.
7. After completing the initial review, the ADA Coordinator or designee will respond to the accommodation request. The response will be provided as soon as practically possible, but absent unusual circumstances, not more than 30 business days after the request is made. The response will go to the employee and employee's supervisor, if appropriate.
8. Engaging in the Interactive process – The ADA Coordinator/designee will work with the employee and their supervisor to determine reasonable accommodation options and/or implement any recommended accommodations.