Classes with iPads or MacBooks
Students enrolled in these course sections will NOT need to purchase the textbook(s).
Columbus State is working to understand how iPads (or other Apple devices) can impact student learning and save textbook costs. We offer some select course sections where students must have an Apple device to be able to enroll.
Students must have their own Apple device to participate in these sections. See device requirements below.
- The college will not provide students with an Apple device for these course sections. Students must come prepared with their own Apple device.
- Non-Apple devices, such as Kindle or Android, are not acceptable substitutes because those devices will not be able to access the iBook content that will be used in place of the textbook.
- Students who register for these courses who do not have access to an iPad will be dropped or moved to a different section.
Will My Apple Device Work?
Because these courses require iBook access, a student must have an Apple device with the most recent iOS version and enough space available to download iBooks.
If you are unsure of what iPad version you have, please refer to the chart in this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201471
To participate in these courses, you must have one of the following devices.
- Any iPad, iPad Air, iPad mini, or iPad Pro made since 2014 that can run the latest iOS version and has at least a 32 GB capacity.
Any iPhone that can run the latest iOS version and has at least a 32 GB capacity.
NOTE: Some course content may be challenging to see or use on an iPhone due to its reduced screen size.
- Any MacBook model that can run the current macOS version.
If I have an Apple device do I have to buy the textbook for the course?
No. If you have an Apple device that matches the specifications above and you are registered for one of the course sections listed above, you do not need to buy textbooks for the course.
What if I don’t have an Apple device?
If you don’t have an Apple device that matches the specifications above you must find an alternative course section for the course.