Sterile Processing Technicians are medical professionals responsible for sterilizing
instrument sets, supplies, and equipment needed in the operating room, emergency room,
and labor & delivery departments.
Columbus State Community College offers a two-semester Sterile Processing Certificate
concurrent with a five semester Associate of Technical Studies Degree program.
Graduates are eligible to sit for the International Certification Exam issued by the International
Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM). Upon successful
completion of the exam, students are credentialed as a Certified Registered Central
Service Technician (CRCST).
The CRCST Certification is accredited by both the American National Standards Institute
(ANSI) and the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
Upon completion of the Sterile Processing Certificate, the student will be able to:
- Accurately demonstrate a safe and professional level of practice, skills and knowledge
in their role as a Sterile Processing Technicians.
- Acquire an understanding of the ethical, legal, moral, and medical standards related
to the patient and the sterile processing team.
- Perform proficiently and competently as an entry-level Sterile Processing Technician
in the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective learning domains.
- Students will be prepared to take the Certification Exam administered by IAHCSMM.
- Students will be accountable as a medical professional and value the attributions
of the Sterile Processing Technician to the medical facility.
Programs and Certificates