Competencies are sets of skills required to perform a job at a high level. While goals focus on "what" an employee does, competencies focus on "how" the work is done. The College emphasizes five core competencies for all positions and two competencies equally valuable for all and expected for managers. Employees are evaluated on each competency during performance reviews.
Managers and employees should regularly review and discuss competencies. Discuss how each competency might be demonstrated in your department's work. A common understanding of expectations helps everyone support eachother in meeting expectations. Discuss areas of strength and areas for development. Consider creating a Professional Development goal to improve a competency.
- Educates oneself about current and historical barriers to educational attainment.
- Examines college policies, practices, systems, and culture to identify potential barriers to educational attainment.
- Fosters, through one’s work and relationships with students and colleagues, a welcoming and inclusive environment conducive to educational and workplace success and feelings of belonging.
Learn more about how to practice Inclusive Diversity.
Competencies for all employees
- Makes internal and external stakeholders’ needs a primary focus to facilitate customer, student or employee success.
- Responds in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Takes ownership in addressing the needs of customers, students or employee using effective approaches or developing appropriate solutions.
- Leads by demonstrating skill, good judgment, integrity and trustworthy behavior.
- Contributes to creating a healthy and positive work environment.
- Works to achieve quality results within one’s area of responsibility while striving for excellence.
- Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team towards the completion of shared goals.
- Engages colleagues through sharing information with direct reports, other coworkers or stakeholders.
- Establishes and maintains collegiality and cooperative working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Effectively organizes and carries out work processes to achieve individual and organizational goals.
- Sets priorities and makes appropriate decisions to complete assigned tasks and solve problems efficiently.
- Carefully and thoughtfully practices stewardship of public resources.
- Identifies and understands issues, challenges and learning opportunities in self, department, or College.
- Supports innovations in departmental and/or College continuous improvement initiatives.
- Adapts to new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures.
Additional Competencies for Managers
- Sets clear expectations, gives active and concrete assistance and instructions, and provides effective and timely feedback/coaching.
- Demonstrates fairness and deals firmly, swiftly and appropriately with performance problems or conflict situations.
- Encourages, supports, recognizes and celebrates achievements.
- Challenges, develops, enables and allows the contributions and growth of team members.
- Listens to, builds consensus, inspires a shared vision and motivates action in others within an inclusive environment.
- Delegates work and allocates decision-making authority and/or task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization’s and individual’s effectiveness.
- Keeps current on local, national and international trends (including technology) and shares knowledge.
- Anticipates and makes plans for future organizational change.
- Makes solid business decisions, takes appropriate risks, sets achievable goals and is accountable for financial impact/stewardship.
- Performs under pressure, recovers well from mistakes, accepts appropriate responsibility.
- Sets a genuine example, follows through on commitments made and listens to diverse points of view.
- Builds trust and creates a safe space for courageous conversations.
During the annual review, competencies are rated on four point scale. Because the same competencies are evaluated each year, you will see comments and ratings from previous years (if applicable) when completing the annual review.
Learning & Development Coordinator