Because of a partial power outage, Columbus Campus classes in the following areas are canceled for today: Anthropology, Criminology, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology. More
• Upward Bound is a federally funded pre-collegiate program for high school students.
• Upward Bound is designed to motivate students and develop the skills and resilience necessary for persistence and success in education beyond high school.
• Upward Bound is a TRiO program.
• Encouragement in personal growth and development by helping discover self-worth, uniqueness, individual strength, and resilience
• Academic enrichment classes, academic advising, and tutoring to strengthen skills which need further development
• Counseling and exploration of a wide variety of career and college/educational opportunities
• Exposure to new experiences by providing the opportunity to participate in cultural, recreational and social events and activities
• Development of leadership skills and opportunities to exercise these skills
• Participants receive stipends for participation during the academic year and the Summer Enrichment Institute
During the school year:
• Weekly academic enrichment and tutoring sessions to assist students in the basic academic areas of math, science, writing and reading. Upward Bound also provides individual academic, career and personal advising.
• Monthly Saturday Seminars: Guest speakers are invited to discuss special topics, students participate in team building, leadership activities, and special events.
During the summer:
• A six-week non-residential academic program. Participants attend Upward Bound academic enrichment classes five days per week on the campus of Columbus State Community College. Students participate in cultural, social and recreational activities.
Students will be in a position to successfully choose and complete a college preparatory curriculum leading to enrollment and achievement in a college or university, or other postsecondary institution.
High school students who:
• Come from a low income family as determined by the U.S. Department of Education and/or come from a family where neither parent has graduated from a four year college or university
• Are citizens or permanent residents of the United States
• Are enrolled in grades 9 through 11 at East, Linden McKinley STEM, Mifflin, or West High School;
• Have a willingness to choose and complete a college preparatory curriculum while in high school
• Have interest in obtaining a post-secondary education and desire academic skill improvement to become ready for college
• Are committed to attending Upward Bound sessions regularly
*The Upward Bound Program is funded 100% by the Department of Education in the amount of $279,736 annually. This funding serves 68 students.
Calling (614) 287-5340
Faxing (614) 287-6296
Visiting room 223 in Franklin Hall on Columbus State’s Columbus campus.