Westerville classes canceled until 2 p.m. due to a power outage.
Culinary Apprenticeship Major
Culinary Apprenticeship Major
Curtis Duffy is Chicago's top chef, and he got his start right here.
The Culinary Apprenticeship major is offered in cooperation with the American Culinary Federation Columbus Chapter. It includes the theory-related classroom instruction and on-the-job training required for the National Apprenticeship Training Program of the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
Culinary apprentices are employed for on-the job training under a professional chef in restaurants, clubs, hotels, or catering businesses. Those selected for the apprenticeship program will interview with prospective employers; however, work placement cannot be guaranteed by the College or the ACF Columbus Chapter.
While employed, the apprentices attend classes at Columbus State one full day each week to work toward the associate of applied science degree. The Columbus State program is accredited by the American Culinary Federation Foundation Accrediting Commission. Program graduates qualify as, at minimum, Certified Culinarians through the ACF.
Information sessions for pre apprenticeship applicants
|Tuesday||Oct 11||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
|Monday||Oct 24||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
|Wednesday||Nov 2||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
|Monday||Nov 14||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
|Wednesday||Nov 30||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
|Wednesday||Dec 12||3:30 p.m.||Eibling 003|
The following information should be submitted as soon as possible after acceptance to Columbus State to room 136 in Eibling Hall
- A supplementary apprenticeship application
- 2 letters of recommendation
- An 200 word essay on why you want to be a chef
- *8 required pre-requisite classes
- Are required for admittance to the program
*Candidates will be scheduled for interviews into the Culinary Apprenticeship program, once the above criteria is met.
Culinary Apprenticeship is a lock-step program. Once in the program, you must take the culinary classes in order. All classes are held one day a week.
Specific program admissions information
- High school graduate or GED equivalency
- Complete Columbus State Community College application. (Get Started Guide)
- Bring the following materials to Eibling Hall, Room 136:
- Complete Culinary Apprentice Application
- High School Transcript of GED Certificate
- College Transcript
- Two letters of reference (preferably from employer)
- 200 Word Essay on why you want to be a Chef
The advisor for this area of study is
Barry Young, MBA, CEC, CCE, AAC
550 East Spring Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone Number 614.287.2220
- Culinary Apprenticeship Major
- Nutrition & Dietetics
- Hotel, Tourism, and Event Management Major
- Restaurant and Foodservice Management Major
- Baking and Pastry Arts Track
- Baking Certificate
- Casino Management Certificate
- Meeting and Event Management Certificate
- Plan of Study 2016-2017
- Christopher's Restaurant