Skip to main content

alert ATTENTION: College closed Wednesday-Sunday for Thanksgiving.


1. I want to take Early Childhood Development and Education Classes.  What do I do?

 To take an ECDE class, students must have adequate English reading and writing skills.  The ECDE classes are open to anyone who is eligible to take ENGL1100 or higher.  This eligibility is determined by taking the Columbus State Community College COMPASS Placement Test.  (For more information visit

2.  What can I do with an Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Development and Education (ECDE)?

The ECDE graduates are employed as directors, teachers, assistant teachers and support staff for:

  • Head Start programs
  • Public School Teaching Aides
  • Part-day and Full-day Early Childhood Programs
  • Infant-Toddler Programs
  • Inclusive Programs
  • School-age Child Care Programs
  • Resource and Referral Agencies
  • In-home Child Care Homes
  • Nannies  

Also, many of our students transfer to four year institutions and earn Baccalaureate Degrees. Students may wish to take advantage of existing articulation agreements between Columbus State and Ashland University, Otterbein College, Capital University or The Ohio State University to continue their education. Search Transfer Programs

3.  How do I get accepted into the ECDE program?

You can gain Conditional Acceptance to the ECDE Program after

  • completing college admission requirements, including placement testing and orientation 
  • placement in ENGL 1100 
  • completion of Change of Technology Form for Pre-ECDE.

You can gain Formal Acceptance to the ECDE Program after completing the following 6 courses with a grade of "C" or above:

  • ECDE 1001 Early Childhood Guidance & Curriculum
  • ECDE 1002 Observing, Recording, and Assessment
  • ECDE 1005 Social Emotional Development & Curriculum
  • ECDE 1008 Creative Curriculum
  • ECDE 1009 Language & Literacy
  • PSY 2261 Child Development

In addition, you must: 

  • have an overall GPA of 2.0 
  • have your fingerprint results, medical statement, and signed moral statement in the ECDE office.

4. How do I contact my advisor? 

You can contact your advisor during office hours, or by phone or email. Faculty contacts are listed on the Faculty Page.

5. How often should I see my advisor?  

You may see your advisor as often as you would like; to answer questions, discuss options, register for classes, etc.  

6.  Are all the ECDE courses delivered on campus? 

All the ECDE courses are offered on main campus. Some ECDE courses are offered on Delaware campus. We also provide online classes through hybrid courses. Please visit for semester schedule information.

7. What is a clinical/practicum placement? Why do I have to do three practicums or 315 hours of hands on time in field settings?

The clinical practicum is a contracted child care center where ECDE students go to practice the skills they have studied in class about children.  This time is hands on experience with early childhood degreed cooperating teachers to mentor the student.  Early Childhood students are required to do 315 hours of experience because the State of Ohio Board of Regents statement in our criteria for graduation states that the candidate will have completed those hours to earn this technical associate degree.  For more information, contact Harriet Casey at or 287-3650.

8. What is the ECDE lab?

The ECDE Resource Lab is designed for use by ECDE students to support their work with children. It is located in Union Hall room 141. The lab is supplied with many consumable materials for students to use in order to complete assignments for their Early Childhood Development and Education and ECDE courses.  Students may also use the lab to make resources that they will use with children.  There is also a large number of resource materials that can be checked out and used for field work, classroom presentations, and work sites.  In addition to the resources available in the lab, students visit the lab for help on assignments, studying, getting ideas, and hanging out in between classes.

9. Can I bring my children in the lab with me?

The ECDE Resource Lab is designed for use by ECDE students to support their work WITH children. Unfortunately, the space is not designed FOR children.  There are materials and equipment in the Lab that are not safe for children to be around.  Please make other arrangements for children when you visit the Lab.

10. When is the lab open?

Lab hours are posted outside room 141 in Union Hall. You can also find out lab hours by calling 614-287-5119.  The lab is open Monday through Saturday with varying hours. Some days, the lab is open at 8:00 a.m. and closes as late as 9:00 p.m.

11.  How do I transfer my transfer credits from another college to Columbus State?

Contact your former college and have your transcripts sent to the Records and Registration Department at Columbus State, room 201 Madison Hall.  Once the college receives your transcript, it will be evaluated and transfer credits will be posted to your transcript at Columbus State.

Technical courses in Early Childhood must be evaluated separately by an ECDE faculty member or coordinator.  A copy of your original transcript along with course syllabi or course descriptions will be needed to determine if classes can be transferred.  

12. I graduated from a high school/career center that has an articulation agreement with the Early Childhood Development and Education at Columbus State.  How do I get my credits posted?

To have your credits transferred, you will need to take the Recommendation Form for Articulation College Credit to your advisor during the semester you are registered for ECD 1008, Creative Curriculum.  This form must be completed and signed by your designated career and technical teacher.  This process must be started within 18 months of graduation from your high school or career center.

13. Can I get credit for workshops, job training, or CEU’s? 

Generally, college credit is not given for workshops, job training or CEU’s. College credit can be given for a 45 hour certificate from Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

14. What is a basic early childhood administrative certificate?  

The basic early childhood administrative certificate prepares students for early entry into the job market as child care professionals. This certificate satisfies state requirements for child care center teachers, directors, program supervisors, or family child care providers.

Core courses include: 

Semester 1 . .
ECDE 1001 Early Childhood Guidance & Curriculum  3
ECDE 1002 Observing, Recording, & Assessment  2
Semester 2 . .
ECDE 1005 Social Emotional Development Curriculum  3
ECDE 1008 Creative Curriculum  3
ECDE 2021 Administration & Staff Dynamics  3
Total Certificate Credit Hours . 14

*NOTE: With completion of 12 credit hours in ECDE, minimum qualifications to be a childcare administrator by Ohio Child Day Care Licensing Standards will have been met, provided the candidate has two years work experience in group care of young children.