Fee payment deadline is today, May 21. More
Yearly Admissions Process
The Dental Hygiene application deadline is February 1, 2016. Therefore all applications must be received by February 1, 2016. Please submit your application to the Allied Health Department, Attention: Vincent Cocozza, Union Hall, Room 308.
It is the established policy of Columbus State Community College and the Dental Hygiene Program not to discriminate against any individual for reasons of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Health records must be processed prior to the student's enrollment into the Dental Hygiene Program.
The graduation rate from the dental hygiene program is 91%
The licensure examination success rate for the last 9 years on the 1st attempt for the National Boards is 100%.
The ADEX DH (clinical examination) success rate for the last 2 years on the 1st attempt is 94%.
Subsequent to application or admission to the Dental Hygiene program, Columbus State Community College requires the self- reporting of the following regardless of state or country of occurrence: felony conviction, conviction of a crime involving violence, conviction of a crime involving harm to others, or conviction of a crime involving a weapon. Any plea bargains associated with any of the previously listed crimes are also required to be reported. The College can and may deny continued enrollment depending upon the nature and circumstances of the crime in question.
Spring Semester: This is considered the pre-enrollment period. Students must attend a new student program orientation session held in July. Accepted students must also start to collect and submit their health records including physicals, health insurance forms, and immunizations to Columbus State’s Health Records Office. Accepted students will be required to undergo drug testing, complete the “Health Care Provider” CPR training, and submit a BCI and FBI background check prior to starting the program. Please note that it takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks to complete all of the health requirements and background checks. Therefore, these tasks should be started immediately.
Furthermore, the Ohio State Dental Board can and may deny Dental Hygiene licensure to anyone with a felony conviction.
Specific Program Admission Criteria & Requirements Information
1. Admissions Criteria/Requirements
- The Dental Hygiene Program is a rigorous competency-based program of study. Admission is selective and competitive.
- Contact a Health and Human Services advisor at 614-287-2779. They can also be reached at HHSadvising@cscc.edu. The office is located in Union Hall, Room 427.
- Applications for admission to the program will be evaluated based on completion of
admission requirements. The admission requirements are as follows:
- High School graduate or GED.
- Placement into ENGL 1100.
- Placement into STAT 1350.
- Placement out of reading requirement or completion of DEV 0145.
- High School Biology within the last 5 years or completion of BIO 0100 or equivalent.
- High School Chemistry within the last 3 or completion of CHEM 0100 or equivalent.
- Achievement of a minimum overall GPA of 2.95 on a 4-point scale through the most recently completed coursework.
- Attendance at a Dental Hygiene Information Session:
All applicants are required to attend a mandatory Dental Hygiene Information Session the year of application. Sessions are held during spring, summer and autumn.
- Observation of a dental hygienist at work in an office, clinic or other dental hygiene setting within the year of application is required. Twenty hours of observation must be documented on the observation form and must be co-signed by the supervising dentist and the dental hygienist. The observation form and information regarding the documentation will be distributed at an Information session. (If a student is re-applying to the program, the observation must have occurred within 18 months of the application deadline.) The observation form must include a written or typed summary of your experience in the dental office. This is not a list.
- Completion of the HESI A2 Exam is required for admission to Dental Hygiene. Applicants have one attempt to complete the HESI A2 per application year. The HESI A2 is a computerized test. To register to take the HESI A2, contact the Testing and Talent Assessment Center (614) 287-5750. The HESI A2 will cost approximately $55.00 payable at the Cashier’s Office in Rhodes Hall. On the day of the test, bring a picture ID and your paid receipt with you to the Testing and Talent Assessment Center. See campus map on-line at the CSCC web site for location. You must inform the Testing and Talent Assessment Center that you are a Dental Hygiene applicant. The staff in the Testing and Talent Assessment Center will NOT advise you or discuss your results with you. The results of your HESI A2 will be presented to you when you leave. You MUST complete the HESI A2 by no later than January 22nd in order for the Dental Hygiene program to receive your results by the application deadline of February 1st. Applicants are strongly encouraged to schedule the HESI A2 as soon as possible as scheduled testing times fill very quickly.
- Students who have completed a Bachelor’s Degree will receive credit in the admissions process.
- Students that have graduated from a dental assisting program for which CSCC has a formal articulation agreement will receive credit in the admissions process.
2. Students may complete other General Education (G) and Basic-Related (B) courses with a grade of “C” or
better prior to the admissions process. The more general and basic-related courses
completed with a "C" or better enhances the students' admission score.
3. Required School Documentation to be submitted to the Columbus State Community College Admissions/Records and Registration Office:
- Final official high school transcript (sent directly by the high school to Columbus State’s Records Office) verifying date of graduation OR General Education Development (GED) test results with a minimum average standard score of 45 and a minimum of 35 in each subject.
- Official transcripts from other college(s) attended (sent directly by the other college(s) to Columbus State’s Records Office). A photocopy of all previous college transcripts MUST be included with your dental hygiene application as well.
- Application to Columbus State (if not a current student). Note: Students MUST apply to Columbus State Community College before they can apply to the Dental Hygiene program.
- Completion of COMPASS Placement test, unless applicant has an Bachelor's Degree.
- International Students:
- As well as submitting the above information, international students must also submit
foreign high school AND college transcripts to one of the following transcript evaluation
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc., http://www.ece.org or
World Education Services, http://www.wes.org
- DEADLINE for submission to transcript evaluation agency: November 30th. (Cost of transcript evaluation is the responsibility of the student.) Please ask the agency to send one copy of the completed evaluation directly to Columbus State’s Admissions Office (Madison Hall, 550 E. Spring Street, P.O. Box 1609, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-1609) and one copy to you. You must then provide the Dental Hygiene program with your copy of the completed evaluation. The transcript evaluation MUST include a “Course-by-Course” evaluation which shows equivalent credit for the General Education and Basic Related courses in the Dental Hygiene Plan of Study.
- As well as submitting the above information, international students must also submit foreign high school AND college transcripts to one of the following transcript evaluation agencies.
4. Required Application Documentation to be submitted to the Dental Hygiene Program......Note: We will only accept your application IF it is included as part of your application packet. You must initial the Dental Hygiene Application Packet Checklist indicating that ALL items are included in the packet. If ALL items are not included in the packet, your application will not be considered. Items to be included in the packet (must be returned in Columbus State envelope given to you at the mandatory information session) are:
- Dental Hygiene Program Application: This is distributed ONLY at the mandatory Information sessions. (Yellow form)
- Dental Hygienist Observation Form: This is distributed ONLY at the Information sessions and must be submitted with the official Dental Hygiene Program Application. It is NOT acceptable to observe a dentist rather than a dental hygienist. (Green form)
- Copy of transcripts from other college(s) attended. When you contact your other college(s) to request that your official transcript be sent to Columbus State’s Records Office, you must also request that your other college(s) send you a copy of your transcript. You must then provide the Dental Hygiene program with your copy of your transcript.
- HESI A2 results.
5. A Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee will make the final decision of accepted
6. Additional Admission Information:
- If you are not a current or previous Columbus State student, you may enroll in Columbus State online at: http://cscc.edu. You may also enroll over the telephone by calling: 287-5353, or (800) 621-6407. You may also visit the Welcome Center in Madison Hall. Please note enrollment in Columbus State is not the same as enrollment in the Dental Hygiene program.
- For information regarding placement testing, contact the COMPASS Lab, Aquinas Hall, Room 002, (614) 287-2478 OR (800) 621-6407, ext. 2478 or visit http://www.cscc.edu/testingcenter/compass.shtml.
- Acceptance is conditional on submission and clearance of student background check and drug screening.
7. Statement Regarding Infectious Diseases:
Students in any of the Allied Health programs, including Dental Hygiene, perform their clinical work on real people. Columbus State does not discriminate against students, faculty, or patients in any way, or based on color, creed, national origin, gender, disability or sexual preference. The patient populations with whom we work come from all walks of life, and the students may therefore be exposed to many types of communicable diseases.
These are not limited to but may include: Hepatitis (A, B, C, or D), HIV/AIDS, TB, measles, mumps, rubella, rubeola, varicella, etc. All students are required to have appropriate immunizations after they are admitted to the program, and before summer orientation session. Additionally, although all precautions are taken to minimize exposure and risk, there is always a slight possibility that precautions may fail or that a student may accidentally expose him/herself to infectious diseases. All students entering the Dental Hygiene program must be aware of this slight, but real, potential. All students are encouraged to have personal health insurance in effect by the first day of class.
Columbus State Community College Dental Hygiene Program was fully accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation in 2000. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312)440-4653 or at 211 E. Chicago Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 606611-2678. Third party comments considered that are submitted must pertain only to the standards relative to the particular program being reviewed or policies and procedures used in the accreditation process. Comments will be screened by Commission staff for relevancy. For comments not relevant to these issues, the individual will be notified that the comment is not related to accreditation and, where appropriate, referred to the appropriate agency. For those individuals interested in submitting comments, requests can be made to the Commission office for receiving standards and/or the Commission's Evaluation Policies and Procedures (EPP).