CougarWeb is temporarily unavailable. More
Students with History of Felony Conviction(s)
Columbus State is committed to being a statewide leader in college access as well as success, and we work to ensure that every community member has a safe environment in which to learn and grow. As a part of the application process, the College asks a series of questions about applicants' criminal histories. In particular, the College is concerned with any prior criminal activity involving a felony conviction. Having a criminal history is not a bar to admission, but there is a process applicants must follow to report that history and, if necessary, sit down with Columbus State staff to discuss the circumstances behind the offense(s) before enrollment can proceed. Applicants may be deferred or denied if their presence poses a substantial risk of harm to campus or they are under conditions of post-release supervision (i.e. probation or parole) that prevent enrollment.
Individuals who were previously admitted to Columbus State Community College and wish to re-enroll must disclose to the Office of Student Conduct any felony convictions that occurred since his/her last term of enrollment. Current students with new felony convictions must report that conviction to the Office of Student Conduct within the semester in which the conviction occurs.
Failure to disclose required information at the time of application, re-enrollment, or conviction may result in separation from the College, including invalidation of application, immediate suspension from the college, and/or dismissal.
Students with prior felony convictions involving acts of violence, harm to others, or weapons are required to provide the following information to the Office of Student Conduct:
1. Complete a Personal Statement Form: To access the Form, click button.
2. Complete a national background check. If you have completed a national background check within the last 30 days, we can accept that documentation for review. All others should follow the steps below to electronically request a background check through TrueScreen:
- Click on the following link or paste it into your browser: http://www.applicationstation.com
- Enter the following code into the Application Station Code field: COLUMBUSERT-CBC
- Click the "Sign Up Now" button to create an account
- Follow the instructions on the Application Station web site, Student Edition to authorize and pay $33.75 for a background investigation.
- If you have a federal conviction: use code: COLUMBUSERTWITHF-CBC and the cost will be $42.75 for the complete search.
- Be prepared to provide any names and addresses related to convictions.
NOTE: please store the username and password created for Application Station in a secure location. This information is needed to enter Application Station in the future which includes obtaining a copy of your background investigation report. If you encounter issues with the Application Station or have questions regarding the site, please contact Truescreen's Help Desk at 888-276-8518, ext. 2006 or email@example.com.
Background investigations are completed, on average, within 3 to 5 business days. Once completed, you will receive an email from Truesceen, firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow the link in the email to access Application Station: Student Edition to view the report. Application Station includes instructions for disputing information included in the background check should you feel anything is incorrect.
Spring Semester 2016 Interview Dates:
Individuals who are required to meet with the Enrollment Review Team due to convictions involving violence, weapons, sex-related misconduct or convictions that represent harm to others will be emailed a preassigned interview date with the time and location. Interviews are held on Wednesdays between 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. The following dates have been selected for the Spring term:
February 17, 2016 March 16, 2016 April 13, 2016 April 27, 2016 May 11 2016 May 18, 2016