Because of a partial power outage, Columbus Campus classes in the following areas are canceled for today: Anthropology, Criminology, Economics, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology. More
Sterile Processing Technology is a dynamic and exciting allied health profession. The Certified Sterile Processing Technologist is a vital member of the allied health field of professionals who work closely with hospital-wide, patient-care departments, especially surgical departments.
Columbus State Community College offers a two-semester academic/laboratory/clinical Certificate Sterile Processing Technology program concurrent with a five semester academic/laboratory/clinical Associate of Technical Studies Degree program.
The International Association of Healthcare Central Service Material Management (IAHCSMM) accredits the Certificate and Associate Degree programs. Graduates are eligible to obtain national certification as a Central Service Technician upon successful examination administered by the IAHCSMM.
Upon completion of the Sterile Processing Technology Certificate, the student will be able to:
- Apply the principles and techniques of cleaning, assembly, testing, and identification of patient care equipment
- Demonstrate the general cleaning of instrumentation and specialty items and the operations of mechanical washers
- Demonstrate packaging techniques for re-usable and disposable supplies and equipment
- Demonstrate the assembly, inspection, identification and use of instruments/procedure trays
- Develop entry level proficiency for selected sterilization techniques
- Demonstrate inventory control for re-usable and disposable supplies and equipment
- Demonstrate assembly and distribution of department specific case carts
- Incorporate quality assurance processes and blood borne pathogen protocols
- Identify and explain standards, regulations, and policies and procedures related to activities of the sterile processing department
- Develop professional behaviors required for the successful completion of the Sterile Processing Certificate.