CougarWeb is temporarily unavailable. More
Step 2: Placement Testing
Here’s how to take the COMPASS test.
1. Check the testing center hours and locations to plan your visit. All tests are administered on a walk-in basis. Choose the time and location that’s best for you.
- COMPASS Website
- Testing Center Website
- COMPASS Boot Camp - Do you think you could have done better with just a little more practice? Enroll today in our free three-day Compass Placement Boot Camp workshop to learn test-taking tips and strategies for success on the COMPASS test.
2. Review for the test. Taking a practice test may enable you to bypass some courses and place into higher-level classes. See sample test questions at act.org/compass/sample.
3. Arrive at least two to three hours before the testing center closes. COMPASS tests will not be administered within two hours prior to test center closing time. Most people can complete test in under two hours, but please be sure to arrive more than two hours prior to closing.
4. Make sure you have your photo ID and Cougar ID number. You won’t be able to take the test without them.
5. Take the test. A simple calculator, paper, and pencils will be provided.
6. Check your results. In most cases, your score will be available as soon as you finish.
Note regarding English as a Second Language: The COMPASS Placement Test for ESL (English as a Second Language) students is designed for students whose native language is not English or is English but not learned in the United States.
The test measures multiple levels of English proficiency and is designed to maximize your potential for success by appropriately placing students into ESL or English courses.