Skip to main content
Go! Register for Spring today!


If you cannot find the answers you are looking for here, do not hesitate to contact the Military& Veterans Services Dept.

When Should I Apply For My VA Benefits?

You should apply for your benefits prior to the academic semester that you wish to attend.  Check with the Registrar office for dates. As of September 15 2014 VA processing time is about 16 working days for applications.

How Much Money Will I receive For My GI Bill?

Your VA benefits will vary based on the type of benefit, your contract, and the number of credit hours you have enrolled for. Visit the department of Veterans Affairs website for current rates.

Will My VA Benefits Be Enough To Cover My Tuition At Columbus State?

The amount of your VA benefits will be based on the type of VA benefits that you are eligible for, the number or credit hours you schedule, and the current VA Rates. Your VA benefits will be paid to you in monthly installments over the semester. The College expects your tuition to be paid-in-full at the start of the semester. Normally one month’s check or even an advance payment may not be enough to pay your tuition for the quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to pay tuition, in full, by the deadline date.

The amount of VA benefits you receive for the semester (3 1/2 months) may be more than enough to cover your tuition; the college will not wait for you to receive all your checks to pay your tuition. If you need assistance paying your tuition you should apply for financial aid.

Can I Receive Regular Financial Aid While Receiving VA Benefits?

You may be eligible for additional grants, loans, scholarships, and employment programs (See a Financial Aid Adviser for Details).

What Should I Do If I Do Not Receive Payment from the VA?

Call the Department of Veterans Affairs Toll free number 1(888) 442-4551 to see if the payment has been deposited. If the funds have not been released be sure to ask why not? If it is a school related concern, contact the G.I. Bill Office.

How Often Can I Apply For An Advance Payment?

Remember, you can only apply for an advance payment if you are a NEW STUDENT, or have been out of school for one or more semester and planning to take at least six (6) credit hours. If you are currently enrolled you cannot apply for an advance payment for the next semester.

If I Withdraw From School, While Collecting VA And Then Return Two (2) Semesters Later, Will I Continue To Receive My VA Benefits Automatically?

No. Be sure to notify the G.I. Bill Office that you have withdrawn. When you decide to return to school you must contact the College & G.I. Office to be re-enrolled and re-certified.

What Changes Should I Report To The G.I. Bill Office

To avoid delays or overpayment of VA benefits, each VA recipient is responsible to report any changes in status to the College G.I. Bill Office:

  • Change of Address
  • Change of Program
  • Change in credit hours
  • Withdrawal from school
  • Adding or Dropping classes