Skip to main content
Go! Register for Spring today!

Health Care and Health Insurance

Health Care & Health Insurance

Health Insurance is strongly recommended for all the Columbus State Community College international students. Medical care in the U.S. can be very expensive. In addition, many foreign personal health policies from abroad may not be recognized in the U.S. If you do not have general medical insurance coverage which can cover your stay while studying with Columbus State, or if you have any question about student insurance plans or need assistance, please contact the International Student Services Office at 614-287-2074 or .

New F1 Student Coming from Abroad

Purchase medical insurance prior to your travel to the U.S. if not, as soon as you arrive in the United States. If you are accompanied by your spouse and children, purchase medical insurance for them as well.

New Transfer-in Student

If you are a transfer in student, contact your insurance company to verify transferability of your medical insurance to Columbus State.

Read the descriptions of benefits carefully and do not base your decision for purchasing on the cost of the insurance policy.
Compile a list of health care services in your city or near your area of residence. Contact your medical insurance company for primary care doctor, clinics, and hospitals referrals as soon as you have purchased an insurance policy. Yellow Pages has an extensive list of Central Ohio hospitals and clinics.
Understand how your insurance policy pays your medical expenses. You may need to file your own claim so have claims forms available to you. Know how to reach the insurance company to ask questions.

F1 students on OPT

If you are on OPT and not receiving heath insurance coverage from your employer you should consider obtaining health insurance coverage for the period of time while you are on OPT. Sample plans include: and

Helpful links