Skip to main content
Go! Register for Spring today!


Dual Credit/College Credit Plus FAQs (June 2017)


1. Question: What is "College Credit Plus" and why is Columbus State engaged in it?

Answer: What you may have known before as "dual enrollment", "PSEO", "post-secondary enrollment", or "concurrent enrollment" is all part of the College Credit Plus (CC+) legislation that we call Dual Credit. College Credit Plus is Ohio's dual enrollment program for Ohio residents. Its goal is to "help students earn college and high school credits at the same time by taking college courses from community colleges or universities. The purpose of this program is to promote rigorous academic pursuits and to provide a wide variety of options to college-ready students. College Credit Plus is free for families. That means no cost for tuition, books or fees in most cases. If you choose to attend a private college or university, you may have limited costs." Please note there is limited state funding available for students from nonpublic high schools and home-school students so students and/or families may have costs if not awarded funds from the state. The college is engaged in the initiative because it is state law. It was written into law and appears in Revised Code Chapter 3365 as of its effective date of September 15, 2014.


2. Question: Why does the college call its program "Dual Credit?"

Answer: The College calls its program "Dual Credit" in order to conform to the same program name established by the Higher Learning Commission. "Dual credit" means "credit for two things" – high school and college course work.


3. Question: How will Columbus State communicate with me during the admissions process?

Answer: The College will communicate with you throughout the admissions process to let you know your next steps. This will be done through email, using your new Columbus State email address that you will have after your acceptance into Columbus State. It is very important that you check the email address you provided to Columbus State on a regular basis.


4. Question: What are the important deadlines that students and their families need to know?

Answer: Application, testing, and registration deadlines for CC+ students are posted on the dual credit website (put link here ). Allow 2-3 business days for processing of the college application before submitting ACT or SAT scores or completing the college placement tests.


5. Question: Do I have to pass a test to take classes at Columbus State?

Answer: Applicants who have taken the ACT or SAT should submit their scores to the college. If scores in Reading and English are college-ready, then applicants will be allowed to register for classes for which they are eligible. Applicants must complete the college placement test in the discipline in which they did not place at a college level. If applicants do not have college-ready ACT or SAT mathematics placement scores, they are encouraged to complete the college mathematics placement test if they intend to take a college math class or any college class that has a math pre-requisite. Students without an ACT or SAT score or credit are required to complete the Reading and English college placement tests.

All students with a disability should contact Disability Services to arrange for appropriate accommodations before testing. New CCP students who have already taken one or more placement tests, but who have subsequently submitted their documentation and upon evaluation by Columbus State Disability Services have been approved for placement test accommodations, are permitted to re-test on one or more of the placement tests with approved accommodations at no cost to the student or parent. One re-test permitted per year. Re-testing is not permitted after a student has enrolled in a course in the respective discipline (ie. students who are participating in an English class cannot re-test using the English placement test). Also, there is no re-test opportunity available for the Science test.


6. Question: What placement test should I take if English is not my first language?

Answer: Non-native English speakers should take the English as a Second Language (ESL) placement test. Generally, this applies to students who have only attended U.S. schools starting in 6th grade or after 6thgrade. Younger students, in grades 7-9, take the ESL placement test if they have only attended U.S. schools starting in 3rd grade or after 3rd grade. The ESL classes are not eligible for funding in the College Credit Plus program. College Credit Plus students are not encouraged to enroll in classes or attempt the mathematics placement test until they demonstrate college-level English language proficiency.


7. Question: Are College Credit Plus students required to participate in the Orientation session?

Answer: Yes. All new College Credit Plus students will participate in an orientation session prior to the start of their first semester. College Credit Plus students taking courses on campus are encouraged to attend an in-person orientation session. Students taking courses online or in their high schools may attend in-person orientation or may choose to complete the online orientation.


8. Question: How do I get a college picture ID card?

Answer: College Credit Plus students who wish to have their first college student ID card must present an official state-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license or state ID), be registered for CSCC classes, and identify themselves as a College Credit Plus student. ID Cards are available at Student Central, lower level of Madison Hall on Columbus Campus, or at Business Services Office, first floor of Moeller Hall on Delaware Campus. This card will help the college better serve you and allow access to buildings, recreational facilities, library services, and other college services. Replacement cards can be purchased for $4 at the Cashier's Office, and by bringing the paid receipt and secondary ID to Student Central, Madison Hall lower level. Cougar ID Card Service Hours


9. Question: Where may I receive academic advising?

Answer: Please contact Columbus State's Center for Advising, Support, and Exploration (C.A.S.E.) at 614-287-2668 to set up an appointment. Ask for a College Credit Plus advisor. During Orientation, students will also have contact with an academic advisor.


10. Question: Who is my advisor?

Answer: All registered College Credit Plus/Dual Credit students are assigned a college advisor based on their school district. This information is posted on the Dual Credit website: Students and Families > Columbus State Advising. Students are also able to receive advising services at the Delaware campus or any Regional Learning Center. A map can be found at this link:


11. Question: Are College Credit Plus students permitted to take any college class they want?

Answer: No. There are some classes that students cannot take in this program including developmental or remedial classes. Only classes with college-level credit are available through College Credit Plus funding. Students must meet all pre-requisites to register for a class. Some classes or programs may be inaccessible due to other considerations such as age requirements, high school graduations requirements, and other course or program requirements.


12. Question: Are College Credit Plus students permitted to register for more credit hours than those for which the Ohio Department of Higher Education's formula indicates they are eligible?

Answer: Students must pay for classes that exceed their credit hour limit. All College Credit Plus students, including home-school and non-public students, will receive funding limited to the number of eligible hours deemed appropriate by the state formula. That formula is located under Question number 13 below. You can also consult with your high school guidance counselor for more details on how many College Credit Plus courses you can take on an annual basis and overall before you graduate from high school.


13. Question: Are College Credit Plus students permitted to self-pay during the academic year?

Answer: Yes. College Credit Plus students may participate as self-pay students during the academic year. Please note that the following formula only applies to College Credit Plus semester hours for which a student elects to have their tuition reimbursed by the state.

Formula for Calculating # of Eligible Semester Hours per year:

1. Determine # of Carnegie Units student is taking during school year.
2. Multiply that number by 3
3. Subtract the answer from step 2 from 30 hours

Also, note that a student can take the equivalent of four academic years or 120 credit hours total through College Credit Plus including students eligible to start participating in the program in the 7th or 8th grade. However, if a student enrolls in College Credit Plus for the first time in 10th grade, the student can only take the equivalent of three academic school years, in 11th grade the equivalent of two academic school years, and in 12th grade the equivalent of one academic school year.


14. Question: How will I know I am taking the right classes?

Answer: Students will be given course recommendations when they attend Orientation. Course recommendations will be based upon the information provided by the student regarding high school requirements. Students are highly encouraged to review their course selections with their guidance counselor or secondary school representative to make sure they are making appropriate progress toward high school graduation.


15. Question: Will my Columbus State grades be part of my high school transcript?

Answer: Yes. Columbus State course grades will show on your high school transcript and will be computed into your Grade Point Average (GPA). College Credit Plus courses will be weighted in the same manner as Advanced Placement (AP) classes in your district, if your district weights AP courses. By taking courses at Columbus State, you are establishing a college transcript that will be part of your academic record throughout your educational career.


16. Question: Do I need to do anything special if I have a disability or am on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP)?

Answer: Students in Middle School or High School who are on an IEP are not eligible for any college-course accommodations until they complete the Columbus State Disability Services intake process. College accommodations are not always the same as those provided in high school. Schedule this appointment early to understand the accommodations you will be permitted.


17. Question: Why do male students who turn 18 years of age need to report their Selective Service number to the Records and Registration Department?

Answer: Under the provisions of Section 3345.32 of the Ohio Revised Code, a male student born after December 31, 1959, who is at least 18 years of age and who is classified as an Ohio resident by the state-assisted college or university he is attending, is required to be registered with the Selective Service System. The male student is required to provide his Selective Service number to Columbus State's Records and Registration Department within 30 days of his 18th birthday. If he does not submit his Selective Service number, the student will not be considered a College Credit Plus participant for that current semester or term and will be responsible for any tuition, textbooks, or fees associated with the classes for which he is enrolled. Additionally, the student will be billed a surcharge equivalent to the nonresident tuition rates. This surcharge will be billed until the Selective Service number is provided. If you are an 18-year-old male and have never applied for a Selective Service number, registration may be processed online at or through a local post office. To retrieve your already obtained Selective Service number, you may look it up at or contact the Selective Service System at 847-688-6888. You can report your Selective Service number to Columbus State through our Telephone Information Center at 614-287-5353.


18. Question: Once I have signed up for my classes at Columbus State, am I responsible for buying the required textbooks for my course(s)?

Answer: Most students do not pay for books for their College Credit Plus classes. The district is responsible for the costs of books. More information is available on the Bookstore website (see "CC+ Book FAQ"). Non-partner districts, home-schooled students, and non-partner private school students are responsible for the purchase of the books.


19. Question: If I drive to Columbus State's Columbus or Delaware campuses or to a Regional Learning Center to take classes, will I need a parking permit?

Answer: Students who drive and park at either the Columbus or Delaware campuses, or one of our Regional Learning Centers, must purchase a parking permit each semester. The fee is $35.00 each semester and permits can be purchased online. Click here for more information on parking


20. Question: If I am a home-school student will Columbus State provide the books for College Credit Plus classes?

Answer: Home-school students are responsible for purchasing their own books and supplies. The books can be purchased at the Columbus State Bookstore.


21. Question: How do I receive my books if I am enrolled for a College Credit Plus class taught at my high school?

Answer: Columbus State will ship books to districts, and the school will distribute books to each student.


22. Question: How do I receive books for classes taken online or at a Columbus State location?

Answer: Columbus State will provide a book voucher for each student enrolled at a partner district or school, and students will be responsible to obtain the books in-person or by an email request. For additional information, including the list of partner schools, visit and see the College Credit Plus book information located on the right side. If you do not attend a partner district or school, the school will be responsible for providing the books for your College Credit Plus classes if you attend a public high school or if you are a nonpublic high school student approved for College Credit Plus through the State. Nonpublic high school students not approved through the State for funding (or for the portion of class not funded) as well as all home-school students will be responsible for textbooks. Talk to your high school in order to find out about obtaining your books. Book requirements can be found in the right hand column at on the semester Book List.


23. Question: Once I have completed my course(s), what do I do with my textbooks?

Answer: The books must be returned at the end of each term or you will likely be billed by your school district for the books. In the event a book is lost or damaged, the student will be responsible for the cost of the book. For additional information regarding where to return books, visit and see the College Credit Plus student letter.


24. Question: Will my school or Columbus State provide general use supplies for College Credit Plus classes?

Answer: General use supplies (notebooks, pens, calculators, and other items) are not provided by Columbus State. You can check with your school, but it is generally the responsibility of the student to provide supplies.


25. Question: Can I receive books for Developmental Education classes?

Answer: All students are required to purchase the books for Developmental Education and pre-college level classes.
The following courses are development education or pre-college level classes and are not funded through College Credit Plus:
• BIO 0100
• CHEM 0100
• DEV 0114, 0135, 0140, 0145, 0151, 0152, and 0155
• ENGL 0190
• ESL 0159, 0165, 0168, 0169, 0170, 0177, 0178, 0179, 0188, and 0190
• MATH 1025, 1050, 1060, 1075, and 1099
• PHYS 0100


26. Question: Are books provided for classes beyond my approved maximum hours?

Answer: The Registration Consent Form signed by you, your parent/guardian, and your guidance counselor includes the maximum number of credit hours for which you are funded this year. If you want to take additional classes this year beyond your approved maximum credit hours, you will be responsible for the cost of those books as well as tuition.


27. Question: What happens if I fail a CC+ class?

Answer: Please review this document to understand the consequences of withdrawing from or failing a College Credit Plus class:


28. Question: How do I get my IEP or 504 Plan accommodations in my College Credit Plus class?

Answer: If a student has a documented disability, and wishes to utilize accommodations in the College Credit Plus classroom, it is the student's responsibility to submit documentation and register with Disability Services. A student must register with Disability Services in order to receive accommodations. Disability Services can be reached at (614) 287-2570.

29. Question: How do I forward my Columbus State email to a different email account? 

Step by Step Directions

In the Outlook client software, click the File tab.

Click Manage Rules & Alerts.

In the Rules and Alerts dialog box, on the E-mail Rules tab, click New Rule.

Under Start from a blank rule, click Apply rule on messages I receive and click Next.

Under Step 1: Select condition(s), select the conditions that you want the messages to meet for the rule to apply.

Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click each piece of underlined text, specify values, and then click Next.

Under Step 1: Select action(s), select either:
• forward it to people or public group
• redirect it to people or a public group

Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click the underlined text for people or public group, specify the people or public group you want to forward messages to, and then click Next.

Under Step 1: Select exception(s) (if necessary), select any exceptions that you want.

Under Step 2: Edit the rule description, click each piece of underlined text, specify values, and then click Next.

Under Step 1: Specify a name for this rule, enter a name.

Under Step 2: Setup rule options, check the boxes for the options that you want.
• If you want to run this rule on messages that already are in the Inbox, check the Run this rule now on messages already in "Inbox" box.
• By default, the new rule is turned on. To turn off the rule, uncheck the Turn on this rule box.
• To apply this rule to all email accounts set up in Outlook, check the Create this rule on all accounts box.

Click Finish.