Dublin classes resumed at 3:30 p.m., following a power outage. More
November deadlines for 13 scholarships
Phi Theta Kappa (the international honor society for community colleges) is hosting 12 scholarships, and don't miss a 13th aimed at transfer students.
The scholarships are aimed at students with a 3.5 GPA or higher and are designed to help community college students finish their education. Students don't need to be Phi Theta Kappa members, and the local deadline to apply is Nov. 28.
Many scholarships go unclaimed every year, says Becky Murray, chapter coordinator of Columbus State's Phi Theta Kappa chapter. Winning a scholarship can be great "PR" – one student who was a finalist for the All-State Community College Academic Team found herself recruited by four-year colleges from across the country.
For the first dozen, go to www.ptk.org and click on the “$” icon.
These can be accessed through a common application:
- Hites Transfer Scholarship.
- Guistwhite Scholarships.
- All-USA Community College Academic Team.
- Coca-Cola Community College Academic Team.
- New Century Scholars.
- All-State Community College Academic Team.
Another six require separate applications. Also go to go to www.ptk.org and click on the “$” icon, then scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Richard L. Resurreccion Public Safety Scholarship.
- The Hispanic Scholarship Fund.
- The Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarships.
- The Jeannette Rankin Foundation.
- International Scholar Laureate Program.
- Pearson Prize for Higher Education.
Finally, don’t miss the Jack Kent Cooke Foundation’s Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship. It’s aimed at students transferring to a four-year school, and can be worth up to $30,000 per year. Contact Math Instructor Jessica Lickeri (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The deadline for that one is Nov. 18.
For more information on scholarships, click to our Scholarships page.