Fee payment deadline is today, May 21. More
2011 Improvement Projects
Improvement Projects for 2013
• Student Engagement through Athletics & Campus Recreation. Judith Cockrell, Patricia Fabrisi, Amanda Jennings, Darrylene Mason, Mikhail Shmukler and Todd Taylor. Improving student success and attainment through intercollegiate sports and recreation is the goal of this project. A Leadership Institute project.
• Improving Online Student Success & Attainment with Embedded Librarians. David Metz, Jonathan Kreger, Julie Collins, Kim Leggett, Maurice Anderson, Martina Cora. Integrating librarians into online classes enhances connectedness and student success. A Leadership Institute project.
• The Alumni Engagement Project. Patty Gabrenya, Doug Gray, Teddi Lewis-Hotopp, Jon Moorehead, Angie Schreiber, Sandy Kellam. Colleges depend on their alumni for many vital activities. This project will identify ways to develop those relationships. A Leadership Institute project.
• Office Supply Project. Kimberly Brazwell, Lydia Gilmore, Murray Holmes, Michael Johnson, Christina Stillion. Streamlining and simplifying the ordering of office supplies will be easier once this project is implemented. A Leadership Institute project.
Improvement Projects for 2012
• Achieving the Dream, data/metrics. Lisa Carpenter, 287-2729.
• Career Assistance for Undecided Students. See details on the Action Project web page. Chandra Bell, 287-5404.
• College Access & Readiness. Karen Gray, 287-5637.
• Cougar Edge. Nancy Case, 287-3911.
• Curriculum & Assessment Data Storage. Chris Emswiler, 287-2105.
• Datatel User Interface 4.3 Upgrade. Tony Mandator, 287-2441.
• Data Warehouse. Lisa Carpenter, 287-2729.
• Dev Ed Initiatives.. Lisa Carpenter, 287-2729.
• Dev Ed Intervention - Math model. Kelly Hogan, 287-5169.
• Dual Enrollment Expansion. Karen Gray, 287-5637. CSCC's dual enrollment program allows college courses to be taught during the regularly scheduled high school day, by trained, approved high school teachers at the high school location. The expansion of the dual enrollment program will allow CSCC to open the door of access to more Central Ohio students.
• Early Alert System (Starfish) Pilot Implementation. The purpose of this project will be the pilot implementation of an Early Alert System at CSCC that will work to increase student success and to achieve greater rates of retention.
• Hobsons student application. Tony Mandator, 287-2441.
• Integrating Bookstore w/ Colleague. Chris Emswiler, 287-2105.
• Master Planning. Under the leadership of our new President, Dr. David Harrison, the College intends to develop a long-range plan that will address the College's role in meeting the higher education needs of central Ohioans.
• Partnership Project. Columbus State Community College (CSCC) and The Ohio State University (OSU) will be launching a partnership beginning in Autumn of 2011 to provide class offerings and student services to students in the Delaware County/Northern Franklin County area.
• Readiness Testing in selected high schools. Lisa Carpenter, 287-2729.
• Reaffirmation of Accreditation. This team is prepping for a campus visit by the Higher Learning Commission April 17 - 19, 2013. Greg Goodhart, 287-5431.
• S2S. See details on the Action Project web page. Jennifer Anderson, 287-5581.
• Title III. Teddi Lewis-Hotopp, 287-5104.
• Tuition Payment Plan. Lisa Carpenter, 287-2729.
Improvement Projects for 2011
Nursing Study Tables - coordinated by Nursing's Tina Berry and Ben Williams, Perkins Grant coordinator. This project boosted retention rates in Nursing 100 from 67 percent to 82 percent, a 15% increase. The solution? Study tables moderated by staff that focused on test-taking skills and study habits.
Switch to Semesters* - a 2011 AQIP Action Project. With more the 90 percent of U.S. colleges and universities already operating on semesters, Columbus State’s move to a semester calendar is slated for 2012.
Going Green - In honor of Earth Day April 22, Columbus State has been able to show clear evidence of across-the-board energy reductions. Consumption in 2010 dropped almost eight percent over the prior year. That’s on top of a three-percent reduction in 2009.
Preferred Pathway® - The new program will allow qualified new full-time students at Columbus State to apply and receive college counseling from both schools, as well as OSU student services, orientation, and access to financial aid, grants, and scholarships
Making Sense of CCSSE* - a 2011 AQIP Action Project. Led by Greg Goodhart, this team coordinated the CCSSE survey and is now making recommendations on how we can best use the data.
Helping Students Declare a Major* - a 2011 AQIP Action Project. Chandra Bell and her team are building a new initiative to guide students toward their education and career goals
2011 Leadership Institute Projects:
Housing Research Project Blue Team members: Barbara Allen, Mary Ashley, Jonathan Baker, Teresa Frazier, Mike Little, Deborah Robinson. Charter question: How can Columbus State Community College help meet student housing needs?
Consistency of Student Support Services Red Team members: Michael Hailu, Cindy Klimek, Don Laubenthal, Babette Money, Sharmaine Pechac, and Jonathan Wray. Charter question: Are students being supported consistently based on how they access Columbus State?
Communication in Community Colleges Green Team members: Dean Bortz, Analeah Charles, Angel Gondek, Cassandra Hape, and Jonathan McCombs. Charter question: What are the best ways for students to communicate? Examine how students communicate with each other.
Using Smart Phones to Improve Student Success Orange Team members: Maurice Anderson, Julie Collins, Martina Cora, Jon Kreger, Kim Leggett, and David Metz. Charter question: What are the possibilities of improving student success through new smart phone technology. Is it feasible?
2011 Quality Team Award Nominees
Three teams from the fourteen below will receive $8000 in prizes at a recognition luncheon on July 27, 2011. Distinguished full professors and teaching will also be honored.
Adjunct Orientation: members - Rich James (leader), Tiffany McClain, Connie Grossman, Connie Clark, Dennis Murphy, Lisa Schneider, Greg Goodhart, Peter Karimsesay
To improve adjunct orientation, a cross-functional team redesigned the 'getting started' program for new adjuncts. This collaboration was key because it brought chairs and faculty from both academic divisions together to create a unified program.
Banking Services Review: members - Jaimie Allen, Michelle Bernett, Nancy Campbell, Lou Ann Carman, Emily Cox, Jackie DeGenova, Jan Ellis, Brad Farmer, Annetta Keller, Dale McComb, Joel McLaughlin, Etienne Martin, Tonja Morgan, Becky Ribble, John Riggs, Mikhail Shmukler, Robert Smith, Mike Shilling, Rob Clifford
This team created an RFP and an extensive review process to decide on a new banking vendor. US Bank came out on top. Savings of up to 50% are expected in the costs of banking services per year.
Behavioral Intervention Team: members - Kellie Brennan, Mark Querry, Tiffany McClain, Lieutenants (LTs) Daniel Werner, Benjamin Cassucio, Kevin Smith
BIT was developed in response to the increasing trend of violence in higher education, culminating in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in 2007. BIT at CSCC has been cited by national experts as a model program.
Career Assistance for Undecided Students: members - Chandra Bell (leader), Desiree Polk-Bland, Dick Bickerstaff, Jack Popovich, Julie Sullivan, Lora Eberhard, Elizabeth Wyles, Smith, Rebecca Fleming Safa, Marcy Leeds, Tari Blaney, Tony Goins
This team helps students declare a major by the end of their first quarter of study. The effort also seeks to increase academic success and measure course completion, academic progress, and retention.
Computer Lab IDs: members - Rondra Gurio (leader), Renee Witcher, Tewodros Zeleka, Aloysius Kienne, Melissa Leach, Mustafa Ali, Thomas Duffy, Ali Munye, Christopher Miller, Abdinar Warsame, Hansheng Yan, Justin Manibog, Steven Rosnagle, Jarrett McElhaney, Ian Clausen, Mikhail Moore
By enforcing an ID system for computer lab usage, this team reduced paper waste from million of sheets to a more manageable number, and improved customer service to current students.
Dental Hygiene Alumni Network: members - Elissa Schneider, Andrew Laux, Barbara Furlow, Jeanette Ferguson
This project merged the talents of the Development Foundation and the Dental Hygiene Department. Their creation? The Dental Hygiene Alumni Network which connects alumni to the school via an annual conference and an active fundraising campaign.
Developmental Education Block Program: members - Tracy Koski, Sue Hargrove, Pat Rowe, Tywan Banks
This intensive program helps at-risk students build academic skills and adjust to the first year of college. To date the program has a success rate of 90%.
Instructional Cost Model: members - Jaimie Allen, Michelle Arnold, Jan Ellis, Laurie Johns, Karen Riley, Don White
Keeping costs in line from a quarter-based school year to a semester- based one, was the responsibility of this team. "This work has been a true cooperative endeavor between Academic Affairs, Human Resources and Business and Administrative Services."
Making Sense of CCSSE: members - Greg Goodhart (leader), Mark Bocija, Antoinette Perkins, Sue Donohue, Karen Muir, Libby Daugherty, Terrence Brown, Dawn Blair, Marty Maliwesky, Tom Erney, Jim Hamberg, Tom Lyons
The CCSSE team defined a process to collect, analyze, distribute, and integrate CCSSE data results. Also, the group determined how the college will use the data for decision-making and continuous improvement work.
Math - Summer Bridge Initiative: members - Tywan Banks, Beth Barnett, Kelly Hogan, Jessica Lickeri, Brenda Michelis, Kathy Struve
Students who placed into DEV 031, Math 102 and 103 received strategic help through this intensive program. Twelve of sixteen students completed one, two or three math courses, and four students progressed into Math 104.
Tutoring Advisory Committee: members - tba
Through a Federal Title III program - Strenghtening Institutions - this team is researching and developing a 'best practice' tutoring model for the college.
Website Redesign: members - Tony Goins, Greg Phillips, Giselle White, Phil Porter, Scott DeJane, Paul Rehg
2010 saw the launch of the revamped college website after two years of planning by this team. Over 3,000 pages are under management in the new content management system, plus pages still in use on the old site.
Welcome Team: members - Barbara Allen (leader), Chris Grubbe, Nome Stillwell
During the first two days of each quarter, this team welcomes new and returning students. Quarterly, more than 50 volunteers share a smile, a warm welcome, directions, class schedules and maps all within the context that “everyone matters."
Wrap Up Sheet: members - Marsha Phillips (leader), Casey Immel Brown, Barbara Simpson
A joint effort between the Telephone Information Center and the Data Center, this team reduced paper, toner, electricity usage and staff labor with a 50% boost in accuracy via an online data input system.
- AQIP: The Road to Accreditation
- Systems Portfolio
- 2014 Appraisal Feedback Report
- 2010 Appraisal Feedback Report
- AQIP Action Projects
- Quality Awards
- CQI Projects
- CQI Steering Committee
- Student Success Initiatives
- Delaware Campus, Regional Learning Centers and Industry Outreach Sites
- Checkup Visit Documents