LOCATION CHANGE: Taste the Future, Tuesday, Aug. 16, has been moved to the Columbus State parking garage on Washington Avenue.
Mental Health & Substance Abuse Counseling
We offer crisis intervention, mental health counseling, alcohol & drug counseling, alcohol and other drug prevention, consultation and referral services. We also offer presentations, workshops and printed materials about mental health, alcohol and other drug prevention and abuse.
We offer short-term counseling for each student at no cost. If students choose to pursue personal counseling for a longer period of time, our staff can work with the student to refer them to a provider within the community.
Our counseling services are available to currently enrolled students only. Staff, faculty and administrative employees who have counseling or prevention needs are referred to their health care benefit plans if available and appropriate. The personal counseling staff is available to employees for consultation and training relative to student behavior, mental health issues, prevention aspects and classroom performance.
**The Columbus State Community College Mental Health Counseling appointments are available to all currently enrolled students without charge. All files are confidential and are not a part of a student's educational record.
To provide quality mental health, alcohol and other drug (AoD) services to enhance the student's personal and academic development. To provide educational workshops and seminars to the Columbus State Community College community that will increase mental health/AoD awareness. To help students, faculty and administration navigate through and respond safely to mental health crisis situations.
We are here to meet and support the evolving mental health needs of the college community and stake holders while facilitating human growth and potential. To serve as the premiere source and integral part of campus mental health and wellness. To equip and empower the campus community through mental health awareness, prevention, and intervention.
Role of Columbus State Community College Counseling Services Center
- To promote academic achievement and personal growth in a healthy learning environment.
- To enhance academic productivity and personal wellbeing by encouraging healthy behaviors and lifestyle choices.
- To help students reach academic and personal goals which may involve their participation in: assessments, screenings, consultations, crisis intervention, individual or group counseling.
- To serve as a resource for faculty, staff, administration, and families (parents, spouses, children) of enrolled students.
- To play an active role in the advocacy, interpretation, and overall mental health/wellness of underrepresented and marginalized populations (including but not limited to: ethnic/racial minorities, veterans, non-traditional students, students with disabilities and LGBT).
- To collaborate with other campus departments and community agencies- utilization of referral resources within the university and community.
- To be an ethical and confidential atmosphere of mutual respect where everyone feels welcome.