ATTENTION: Westerville Center closed until 2 p.m. More.
COMPASS Placement Test
COMPASS TESTING - COLUMBUS CAMPUS ONLY
NOTICE OF CHANGE
To provide quality customer service and meet the service demands of both our new and continuing students, COMPASS placement testing will be temporarily relocated on the Columbus Campus during the start of finals' week for Autumn Semester 2013.
REPORT TO: From Monday, December 2nd through Saturday, December 7th, 2013 all students wishing to complete the COMPASS Placement Test, ESL COMPASS Placement Test or F1 Essay Test should report to The Testing and Talent Assessment Center, Room 223 located in the Center for Workforce Development on 315 Cleveland Avenue. Click here for hours of operation. The COMPASS/ESL Placement Test will not be administered two (2) hours prior to closing.
COMPASS placement testing will resume in The Testing Center in
Aquinas Hall on Monday, December 9, 2013.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
The COMPASS Placement Test is part of Columbus State's admissions and registration process. All students who plan to register for courses with reading, writing or math prerequisites must complete the COMPASS Placement Test. Placement testing helps to determine if you are college ready and identifies what credit and/or non-credit courses you are eligible to schedule your first semester. Our goal is to ensure that your courses are at the right level for you – not too easy and unchallenging and not so difficult that you would feel overwhelmed.
The COMPASS Placement Test is an untimed, adaptive, computer-based college placement exam. The test changes for each student based on performance. If a student gets a question correct, they next receive a question of greater difficulty and higher value. If they get a question wrong, then they are presented with an easier question of lesser value. Students are placed into course levels where their skills will not be overwhelmed or underwhelmed.
Students who have learned English in countries other than the United States will take the ESL version of the COMPASS Test completing the computerized reading and grammar usage components as well as a timed paper and pencil writing sample.
The COMPASS Placement Test is not required if you have met one or more of the following:
1) A student's ACT scores met minimum score ranges and are no more than 2 years old.
- Minimum score ranges
English 18 or higher
Math 22 or higher
Reading 21 or higher
- Minimum score ranges
- Student is exempt from taking the COMPASS Placement Test in any section where the minimum score ranges have been met.
Access www.actstudent.org to print your official ACT Summary Sheet.
Note: ACT scores on high school transcripts are not acceptable.
Send official ACT Summary Sheet or ACT Student Report to CSCC:
Admissions Office (3261). Allow three weeks for receipt of ACT scores.
Hand-deliver or mail to any CSCC Testing Center location or fax to 614-287-6096.
- Columbus Campus - http://www.cscc.edu/services/testingcenter
- Regional Centers - http://www.cscc.edu/services/testingcenter/off-campus-testing.shtml
- Delaware Campus - http://www.cscc.edu/about/delaware/testing-center.shtml
2) Students taking only CSCC non-credit courses.
3) Transfer students who have successfully completed college-level English and/or math courses from an accredited institution where English is the official language (learned in the United States) should obtain official copies of transcripts and forward them to Records and Registration. Students should take a copy of their transcripts to the Academic Advisor to determine if they are exempt from one or more parts of the COMPASS Placement Test.