Skip to main content

alert ATTENTION: College closed Wednesday-Sunday for Thanksgiving.

We will perform network maintenance on Wednesday, which may affect some services.

Post 9-11 GI Bill & Programs

Post 9-11 GI Bill & Programs


Types of Benefits

Below is a brief description of the current VA education benefit programs. If you would like to get a detailed description of VA education benefits, please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) or visit them on the web at:

Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty

To qualify, you must have entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985 and paid $1,200 in to the program, or have remaining entitlement under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance program (Chapter 34 of title 38, U. S. Code) on December 31, 1989, you served on active duty for any number of days during the period October 19, 1984 to June 30, 1985, and you continued on active duty without a break from July 1, 1985 through June 30, 1988.

Participants must have obtained a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate before or during the qualifying period and the character of discharge must be "Honorable." Basic entitlement provides assistance for 36 months. Eligibility expires 10 years after last discharge from active duty.

Back to Top

Chapter 1606 – Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve Program

To qualify, you must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after July 01, 1985, satisfactorily completed initial active duty for training (IADT), completed a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before completing IADT and remain in good standing while serving in an active Selected Reserve unit.

You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Your benefit entitlement ends 10 years from the date of your eligibility for the program, or on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Back to Top

Chapter 32 – Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program.

The Government matches your contributions on a $2 for $1 basis. Basic entitlement provides assistance for the number of months you made contributions to a maximum of 36 months. Eligibility expires 10 years after last discharge from active duty.

Back to Top

Chapter 35 - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.

The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. For children eligibility expires at age 26. If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran.

Back to Top

Chapter 31 – VA’s Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

VA's Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) program helps veterans with service-connected disabilities that have a demonstrated employment handicap in two ways: Veterans who are feasible for employment are provided assistance in preparing for, obtaining, and maintaining suitable employment and Veterans who cannot work because of the severity of their disabilities may be provided assistance to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

If the DVA chooses to send a veteran to Columbus State the DVA will pay tuition and fees, books and supplies, and provide a monthly subsistence allowance.

Back to Top

Veterans Work Study Program

This program is available to any student receiving VA education benefits that are attending school three-quarter time or more. An individual working under this program may work at the school Veterans' Office, VA Regional Office, VA Medical Facilities, or at approved State employment offices.

Work-study students are paid at either the state or Federal minimum wage, which ever is greater. If you have questions on this program contact the VA Work-study Coordinator at 1-800-827-1000 Ext. #3302 (outside Ohio 1-888-442-4551).

Back to Top

Prior Credit

DVA regulations require that all previous education (prior college & military credit) be applied to shorten the program of education pursued. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that acceptable records are submitted to the College Record’s Office for evaluation. The results of this evaluation must be submitted to the VA by the end of your third quarter of attendance.

If this information is not provided, your VA education benefits will be suspended.

Back to Top

Military Credit

You may receive college credit for Military training. Students must provide acceptable records to the College for evaluation by the appropriate Department Chairman or College Administrator. Contact the Records and Registration Office for additional information.

Back to Top


The Department of Veterans Affairs has set policies governing who qualifies for veterans' benefits, how to stay eligible, and what it will and will not pay for.

Who Is Eligible?

To collect VA benefits you must:

  • Declare a program of study.
  • Attend classes.

Back to Top

How Do I Stay Eligible?

A student will be considered in good standing as long as the classes taken are required for graduation in his/her program, the student is not repeating classes already successfully completed, the student has not been on Academic Probation for two consecutive quarters (of enrollment) and does not earn less than a 2.0 for the quarter, the student has not been Academically Dismissed by the College and does not earn a 2.0 GPA for the quarter. (See Grading and Academic Procedures in the College Catalogue).

Once a student has been reported to the VA for Unsatisfactory Progress, benefits will be suspended and the student will be notified. Students must reapply for their benefits by contacting the G.I. Bill Office.

Back to Top

Administrative Withdrawals

Students who miss two or more weeks of classes will be administratively dropped from their classes. Once a class is dropped the VA will be notified to adjust rate payment accordingly. If you need to miss class, please make sure you notify your instructor to avoid administrative withdrawals.

Back to Top

What Will VA Benefits Pay For?

VA Benefits generally pay for classes required for graduation in a program.

One exception to this rule: VA benefits will pay for Vocational Rehabilitation students with Counselor approval.

VA benefits will not be paid for Auditing classes.

Veterans' benefits will pay for remedial classes as long as they are required to obtain a degree. Students determine which remedial classes they must take according to their scores on the COMPASS placement test. The VA considers all Columbus State’s DEVXXX classes and ENGL 100 as remedial.

Back to Top

Reporting Changes

To avoid a delay, suspension, or overpayment of your VA benefits, students must report all changes to the College G.I. Bill Office:

  • Address changes
  • Name changes
  • Change in credit hours
  • Withdrawal from school
  • Program of study changes

Back to Top

Applying for Benefits

Step 1

  • Apply for admission to college and be admitted.

Step 2

  • Request College and Military Transcripts and submit to the Registrar Office.

Step 3

  • Declare a program of study & verify state residency with the Registrar’s Office.

Step 4

  • Take a College Placement Test (COMPASS or ASSET), if required.

Step 5

  • Register for classes.

Step 6

Complete an application with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, requesting educational benefits electronically through VONAPP

If you've never used VA benefits before, complete an Application for Benefits form:

  • VA Form 22-1990 Chapters #30 & 32 attach copy of DD-214
  • VA Form 22-1990 Chapter #1606 attach copy of NOBE
  • VA Form 22-5490 Chapter #35 (Application for Benefits)

Used VA benefits at another institution or at CSCC but changing program of study Complete:

  • VA Form 22-1995 Chapters #30, #32, & 1606
  • VA Form 22-5495 Chapter #35

Each semester or returning after missing an academic semester complete:

  • VA Request for Certification (Columbus State G.I. Bill Office Form)


Receiving Benefits

Once a student has submitted their certificate of eligibility documentation to the G.I. Bill Office, the college will forward certifications on to the Department of Veterans Affairs to be processed. The G.I Bill Office will verify enrollment after all tuition and fees are paid, unless the student is requesting Advance Pay or attended the previous academic semester.

If a student is taking at least six (6) credit hours, he or she may be certified each academic semester. If a student is takes less than six (6) credit hours, is on active duty, or is attending as a transient student, he or she must be certified for benefits each academic semester after all tuition and fees are paid.

If a student withdraws during any academic semester, the student benefits will be terminated and he/she must contact the College VA office to restart benefits. If a student elects to change their program of study, the student must change the program of student with the Registrar office, as well as the G.I. Bill Office to prevent interruption of educational benefits.


Once an application and enrollment certification is submitted to the DVA, it may take 6 – 8 weeks to start receiving a monthly VA payment. Payment is direct deposited into the students’ banking account for the prior months training.

Direct Deposit is not available to Chapter #35 recipients.

Monthly VA payments will be based on the number of credit hours the student enrolls each quarter:

  • 12 + credit hours = full time payment
  • 9-11 credit hours = 3/4 time payment
  • 6-8 credit hours = 1/2 time payment
  • 1-5 credit hours = 1/4 time payment

Advance Payment

To request Advance Payment, the student must be planning to take at least six (6) credit hours and sign an Advance Payment Request 60 days before the tuition & fees deadline.

Accelerated Sessions/Flex Term Classes

Columbus State offers several classes each semester that meet less than the regular 10 weeks (i.e. 1st term, 2nd term, * week term). These classes are called Accelerated or Flex term classes. If you choose to enroll in an accelerated term or flexibly scheduled class, your VA benefits may be adversely affected. The DVA will only pay benefits for the time you are actually enrolled in classes.

Tuition and Fee Payment

Students receiving VA education benefits are expected to pay fees by the deadline dates established by the College each semester. If you have not paid your tuition by the deadline your VA benefits will be terminated. If benefits are suspended, the student must contact the G.I. Bill Office to reapply for benefits after tuition is paid-in-full.


The VA will not pay education assistance to persons on active duty with the Armed Forces or the Public Health Services whose education or training cost are being paid by the Federal Government. This restriction also applies to persons receiving education or training under the Government Employees Training Act and being paid their full salary.