Skip to main content
Go! Register for Spring today!

F-1 Student Change of Major or personal information

Change of Major

The major/plan of study you selected is part of your I-20. A change of major may affect the length of time it takes to complete your studies at a particular school. For these reasons, it is necessary to inform both the school and the immigration service of a change of major. It is acceptable to change your major, but this must be done according to the following process to make sure your I-20 remains valid and current:
1. Run a degree audit on the program to determine the number of semesters you would still need to complete the new program before meeting with your academic adviser.
2. Visit with the program academic adviser in the new major you are considering. Discuss your plan with the adviser and get information on the program.
3. Fill out a Change of Information Form and submit to student central.
4. Schedule an appointment (614-287-2074) to meet with your International Student Adviser to discuss your plan and to request a new form I-20. When you change major, it must also be changed on your I-20.


Change of Name, Address or Emergency Contact

F-1 students must report a change of physical (required) and mailing address to the DSO (Designated School Official) within 10 days of the change, so that SEVIS (Student & Exchange Visitors Information System) can be updated. If changing name, a student must submit passport pages copies to validate any change to biographical information fields of the SEVIS record. All changes in name, address, major and emergency contact must be reported to ISS (International Student Services) during your study at Columbus State. You can report a change in this information at the International Student Services office in Madison Hall.