Fee payment deadline is today, May 21. More
Quality Team Awards
The Generation One Trailblazers team brought home the Gold Team award. From left, a few of the GOT teammates, Tracy Haynes, Nancy Ziminski, Irene Petten and President Harrison. Absent: co-chair Ron Elizaga
A Banner Year for Quality
President David Harrison said it best, the Quality Awards is one of his favorite events of the year. And it's easy to see why. One after another, teachers, full professors, assorted staff - full and part-time, teams large and small, all gave eloquent testimony as to why the college is the essential place it has become.
2014 Distinguished Teachers, from left, Daniel Hare, Julie Posey, Theresa Kegley and Mark Mitchell.
From a list that began with 125 nominees, Daniel Hare, Theresa Kegley, Mark Mitchell and Julie Posey were the gracious Distinguished Teaching winners.
"It's our students who inspire us," said Kegley. "Truly, their stories, their hopes for a better future. They're the ones who are distinguished."
"To be honored by one's peers," noted Daniel Hare, "is humbling beyond belief. "
"I also realize that with this award comes one of the toughest tasks in my twenty
years here," admitted Mark Mitchell. "And that is to choose only four distinguished
faculty members next year. Because I feel our campus is full of distinguished professors,
associate professors and faculty members."
Part-Time Staff Employee of the Year, Catherine Giles
Jon Lundquist and David Busch were named Distinguished Full Professors for their years of innovative and inspiring service.
IT's Betty Richardson took home the Staff Employee of the Year honors. She was cited for her great work attitude and extra efforts on behalf of SAC's charitable work. The Testing Center's Catherine Giles is the first recipient of the new Part-time Employee of the Year award. Her willingness to work evenings and weekends in the Testing Center was but one reason for her nomination.
The Transient Student team brought home a 2014 Silver award.
Generation One Trailblazers received Gold for helping first generation students navigate the college experience. Brian Seeger led the Transient Student Team to a Silver Award. The team helped boost "guest student" enrollment by 14%. Denis Marketos, Lee Wayand and Leslie Smith corralled a Silver for creating an interactive online Statistics course to promote retention.
More photos and videos of the awards event will be posted here soon.
• 2014 Quality Award Nominees •
This year Columbus State students submitted 146 Distinguished Teaching Award nominations for 125 faculty members.
This year's panel of judges included Beth Barnett, Dr. Rick Bartlett, Eric Kenz, Fauna
Stout, Polly Owen and committee chair Rich James. The ten finalists follow:
• Sharon Barnewall, Professor, Biological and Physical Sciences
• Daniel Hare, Program Coordinator, Criminal Justice
• Kevin James, Professor of Mathematics
• Theresa Kegley, Annually Contracted Faculty, Mathematics
• Betsy McCall, Annually Contracted Faculty, Mathematics
• Mark Mitchell, Associate Professor, Automotive Technology
• Nancy Pine, Instructor, English
• Julie Posey, Instructor, Biological and Physical Sciences
• Rachael Romain, Instructor, Biological and Physical Sciences
• Adele Wright, Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Employee of the Year
Last year's winner, Susan Thomas, chaired the 2014 committee, which included Summre Jones, Leslie Hoffman and Michael Leland Bateman. This year's slate, all 2013 Employees of the Month, included:
• Carmelita Boyer, Administrative Assistant,
• Amy Burrell, Advisor, Enrollment Services
• Rod Harris, Maintenance Repairperson I,
• Dana Knott, Librarian, Delaware Campus
• Adrienne Luke, Advocate, Disability Services
• Ellen Neutzling, Advisor, Delaware Campus
• Betty Richardson, Asset Management
• Frank Sugar, Coordinator, Police Department
• Shelley Toale, Coordinator, Facilities Mgmt
• Darla Van Horn, Deputy Title IX Compliance Officer, Student Life
• Mark Van Horn, Video Developer, Marketing & Communications
• Valerie Wilson, Publications Coordinator, Marketing & Communications
Previous year's Quality Awards finalists are here.