Student Success has been our main goal since day 1, and we're ramping up our efforts as we enter our next 50 years.
In 2012, we joined Achieving the Dream, a national reform network dedicated to community college student success and completion. As part of Achieving the Dream, we are focusing on strategies that are specific, measurable and data-driven. Our near-future initiatives include:
- Enhancing first-year experience and student advising.
- Helping students complete introductory or remedial courses.
- Cultivating learning communities so students can learn with peers.
- Work with our K-12 partners to help more students earn college credit while in high school. (More on Partnerships)
- Increasing our support for students who may struggle to graduate.
Over the last few years, we have enacted a number of student success initiatives, such as creating a First Year Experience class, enhanced tutoring offerings, and the innovative Math 1099 program, which allows students to work through remedial courses at their own pace. Student success is also woven into our Facilities Master Plan.
As part of the Central Ohio Compact, Columbus State is committed to the goal that 60 percent of Central Ohioans will have a postsecondary degree or certificate by 2025.
At our 50th anniversary, we have a lot of graduations ahead of us.